• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • PLEASE: Read the FORUM RULES BEFORE registering!

What Did You Buy Today?

darkzero

Global Moderator
Staff member
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
Don't remember if there is an existing thread like this. Many of you guys like to share your scores so let's try a new ongoing thread...

If your here chances are you love tools & always love to get new ones. This thread is not necessarily for gloating (well maybe) but you can if you want but expect to get a "you suck" compliment!

So what did you buy for the shop today (or recently)? No tool too small or too big, machines, equipment, inexpensive, expensive, good deal or not, whatever. All that matters is if you'd like to share your latest acquisition that put a smile on your face, post 'em up! And you know the drill, we love to see photos!

ddickey

H-M Supporter - Premium Member
I bought a planer gauge today. I want to make some dovetails in the future, figure it will come in handy.

mikey

Active User
Bought a pair (0-1" and 1-2")of Tesa screw thread micrometers in mint condition on ebay, complete with full set of anvils and a standard. I had been using a Fowler set (Chinese) that was on a semi-permanent loan but that went back last week. I absolutely hate thread wires; I always drop them in the chip pan or on the floor ... always! I've been looking for this set for years now and it finally turned up at a price that was a comparative steal. Just the checking standard, if bought at retail, would have just about covered the cost of this entire set.

IMG_5352.JPG IMG_5354.JPG IMG_5356.JPG

BFHammer

This is a little bit of a duplicate post because it originated out of another thread where I got some great advice.

I'm in the process of tooling up for my first mill and I just ordered a 5" Glacern vise with swivel base and their keyless chuck:

gsv550_swivel_01.jpg Capture.PNG

JR49

Active User
I ordered some adjustable parallels from LMS---may never use them :grin:
Thats what i thought when i got my first set, but I now have 3. My biggest problem was remembering I had that first set. They are very useful in all kinds of setups. Once you start using them in lots of odd setups, it will become second nature to think of them, even first sometimes. Happy machining, JR49

alloy

Always looking for the next tool score
Hmmmm..............how recently? And is there a limit to how many I post???

You know your giving me a really great excuse to go out and buy something cool just to post it on here. ;)

Last edited:

Dan_S

Active User
Hmmmm..............how recently? And how many can I post???

You know your giving me a really great excuse to go out and buy something cool just to post it on here. ;)
Don't join a photography forum, most of them have threads like this and the tools are more expensive.

BFHammer

Considering that I'm in the process of tooling up - I may be a frequent offender in this thread!:grin:

Like Badspellar I just upgraded to the premium membership. An awesome bargain considering what I have learned so far!

darkzero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Hmmmm..............how recently? And is there a limit to how many I post???

By all means, please post away! We don't care how long ago or how many times! We all enjoy seeing new tools, well I do anyway & I can't be the only one. Seeing the stuff that may be posted here may cause me to go buy something else!
:drool:

Charles Spencer

Active User
I didn't buy it today, but I received it today.

JTS Machinery had a sale on R8 collets and they said that everything was 10% off on Tuesday. So I ordered the 32nd collets I needed to fill out my set. I also ordered a rack that holds 48 R8 collets.

I know they're imports, but I got to fill out my set for $4.20 per collet.

darkzero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Earlier this week got an excellent deal from MSC on a brand new Bison 6.3" 3-jaw Forged Set-Tru chuck to replace my Gator 6.0" 3-jaw semi-steel adjustable chuck. Got her mounted up & dialed in last night. Very happy! I use a 6-jaw most of the time so sadly the 3-jaw won't get used often but she's so nice I'll have to find excuses to keep her mounted. :)

alloy

Always looking for the next tool score
By all means, please post away! We don't care how long ago or how many times! We all enjoy seeing new tools, well I do anyway & I can't be the only one. Seeing the stuff that may be posted here may cause me to go buy something else!
:drool:
Well most of my stuff has been posted before, but I'm always on the lookout for more :D

pstemari

Ordered a carbide internal thread relief tool and a gallon of Mobil 426 cutting oil from Zoro and a bunch of the g&l pocket tools from Techni-Tool.

Also picked up a bunch of 12L14, 7075, 6061, C360, and Delrin from Online Metals.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

sanddan

Active User
This is a little bit of a duplicate post because it originated out of another thread where I got some great advice.

I'm in the process of tooling up for my first mill and I just ordered a 5" Glacern vise with swivel base and their keyless chuck:

View attachment 225953 View attachment 225954
Great vise, I had one on my bench top mill and loved it. Perfect size. A great addition to that new vise is a speed handle.

I found that they didn't make a speed handle for this size mill but an even better solution if you have a welder is to cut a wrench in half and weld a ball on the end. I used ball bearings purchased off ebay but a cheaper solution is a hollow ball used to cap posts on metal fencing.

vise speed handle.JPG

BFHammer

Great vise, I had one on my bench top mill and loved it. Perfect size. A great addition to that new vise is a speed handle.

I found that they didn't make a speed handle for this size mill but an even better solution if you have a welder is to cut a wrench in half and weld a ball on the end. I used ball bearings purchased off ebay but a cheaper solution is a hollow ball used to cap posts on metal fencing.

View attachment 226035
Great idea - I do weld and I like the homemade tools - often a better solution.

What kind of mill do you have?

Monk

Active User
I recently got a vintage L. S. Starrett No. 196 Dial Test Indicator off ebay for $25. It works great. I bought it with the idea of making a head tramming tool for the BP, which I did. I'll post the the pics etc under the Projects forum when I get them arranged.
Starrett Plunger.jpg

mikey

Active User
Just got a brand new Etalon 6" dial caliper and depth base off ebay. Only saved about $70.00 over retail but it is worth the cost. I checked them on my gage blocks and they are dead on accurate as far as my eyes can tell. Unlike my Starrett and Mitutoyo calipers, the Etalon is accurate even at very small dimensions. I'm very impressed by the feel and workmanship as well so I'm pleased.

Okay, no more tools for me. Well, at least for the next 6 months or so. Well, I guess it depends on the tool ...

firestopper

Earlier in the week, I was the high bidder in a Rockwell 31-730 disc/belt sander that came out of a local H.S. wood shop. Its all there including the saw dust haha.
It has a 230V 1.5 HP single phase motor located in the base housing. The disc is 12" and the belt is a 6" x 48". It has minor damage on the outer lower portion of the belt guard from being ran while not tracking properly. The edge of the belt was rubbing (outboard side) resulting in a deep grove. Its 16ga so an easy fix. I plan on rebuilding the entire machine and painting it darker grey with yellow guards. Its a vintage machine with metal adjustment knobs unlike the newer version with plastic knobs.
IMG_0452.JPG IMG_0458.JPG IMG_0453.JPG IMG_0457.JPG
Here you can see the "Flowing Wells school property tag"
IMG_0455.JPG IMG_0456.JPG
The cast iron tables are in great shape
IMG_0459.JPG
IMG_0453.JPG
IMG_0460.JPG

I was able to download a manual found online. I do have a question for you guys,
would there be any benefit in converting this machine to variable speed control (VFD) for general metal fabrication? I know some of the Burr Kings come set up with variable speed option.

Thank for the reply in advance.
Paco

Container Above bottom breadcrumb