What Did You Buy Today?

@mattthemuppet2

Nice purchase. Now the fun begins.

I'm shopping for a VFD. Please provide a link to where you decided to buy yours.

I'm also curious whether the bottom plates (where the conduit holes are) are made of plastic or metal.
The reason I ask is because I bought a used machine with an older Allen-Bradley VFD attached. While cleaning everything up, I found the plate was made of plastic and broken in half (through two of the conduit holes). I was under the impression that Allen-Bradley equipment was top drawer industrial quality and that plate was not up to that standard.
Thanks! I just read the manual and my head is spinning!

I bought these off an over stock place in Arizona on eBay, they were the only ones they had I’m afraid. I feel very lucky as they were exactly what I needed. Only looked for that brand as mksj recommended them.

I’ll check the bottom plates when I’m back at the new house tomorrow

I picked up an old adjustable wrench in a junk store the other day...

20240325_073636.jpg

20240325_073626.jpg

20240325_073646.jpg

It's a Whitman & Barnes Co. wrench... 15 inches long, and in a lot better condition than most of these old wrenches that I see. For $10, I decided I would give it a new home.

From the research I've done, W&B bought the rights to make these wrenches from Capital in 1893... and sold the line to J.H. Williams in 1920. This wrench would have to be at least 104 years old.

-Bear

Last edited:

View attachment 484178

View attachment 484179

View attachment 484180

It's a Whitman & Barnes Co. wrench... 15 inches long, and in a lot better condition than most of these old wrenches that I see. For $10, I decided I would give it a new home.

From the research I've done, W&B bought the rights to make these wrenches from Capital in 1893... and sold the line to J.H. Williams in 1920. This wrench would have to be at least 104 years old.

-Bear

I just took the wrench downstairs to put it in my toolbox... while I was there, I compared it to another old monkey wrench that I bought a couple of years ago...

They were identical twins... except the other one had both the W&B diamond stamp and the J.H. Williams stamp... and had been hand stamped "C&O", which I assume means that it was previously owned by the Chesapeake & Ohio Railroad. It is a bit more beat up than the one I bought this weekend.

-Bear

View attachment 484178

View attachment 484179

View attachment 484180

-Bear
I do like a good heavy F spanner with integral hammer head!

I just took the wrench downstairs to put it in my toolbox... while I was there, I compared it to another old monkey wrench that I bought a couple of years ago...

They were identical twins... except the other one had both the W&B diamond stamp and the J.H. Williams stamp... and had been hand stamped "C&O", which I assume means that it was previously owned by the Chesapeake & Ohio Railroad. It is a bit more beat up than the one I bought this weekend.

-Bear

I was going to reply that I always heard that type referred to as a “monkey” wrench. Not sure where that term came from though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was going to reply that I always heard that type referred to as a “monkey” wrench. Not sure where that term came from though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I read somewhere that it was invented by a guy named 'Moncke'...

I don't know if that is true, though.

-Bear

View attachment 484178

View attachment 484179

View attachment 484180

-Bear
I now have wrench envy..... :oops:

I received this small mill vise:

and I am not too happy with it. The worst packing job, and I don't think any thing is damaged, but I wouldn't be too sure. I also think it is bigger then I will need, and it turns out I don't need a rotating vise. So, I am gonna hold onto it for a little bit, see if I can find something better, and then make a decision.

Back