Vaccum cleaner for the shop?

I use a small shop vac (maybe 3.5 gal) with a bag. It's small easy to move around and stores out of the way.

I went to Lowe's yesterday and stopped by the vac aisle on account of this thread and my incoming dustoppers. They carry a ton of stuff in the shop vac brand, but it's just a label that has been borrowed from the old brand name. At least it's a source for "universal" chicom parts, but not the same.
They may be better. The old brand would be hard to make worse...

GsT

Hello.

My shop is a mess. Always a lot of chips of metal everywhere, and I don´t mean the floor, that is easy to sweep. I mean the lathe, the mill, etc... (they are mini)

So I looking for a vaccum cleaner, but there is to types: With disposable bag or with a filter that you clean. What typer is better for metal chops and that kind of things?

Off course course I won´t use it for long chips, these are easy to remove by hand

Thank you

Best regards
This is what I use. Works great and easy to pick up by bucket handle. https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...0EDB83A96448092718A80EDB83A96448092&FORM=VIRE

Making a curved shield that covers the filter on the inlet side and drops slightly below it will keep the filter from getting plugged with chips. Needs it be spaced out about an inch from the filter. Mount it to the vacuum top with some L shaped-tabs. Mike
My shop VAC already has the shield built in. Hose is 2 1/2 inch.

Hose is too small.
For sawdust and chips, a 1-1/4" hose is OK. I've found that 2-1/2" hose is too stiff unless you have a lot of empty space in the shop (and I don't know of anyone with that particular problem).

For my basement shop, the 1-7/8" flexible hose has worked best (scroll back a few pages to see my setup and how I got there: Post #29). In the garage, I have a Craftsman wall-mount with an oddball 2+" hose that is good for the cars and general cleaning.

Back