Vaccum cleaner for the shop?

I've yet to do it but plan to. My thought is to mount it near ceiling height, centrally located so it will reach the entire garage. I'll mount a dust deputy, or the like near it for easy cleanout. I saw a video a while ago, perhaps on YouTube, about it.

View attachment 426086
I have this Vac mounted on my wall, great vacuum and super quiet, you can carry on a conversation while using it. Have a larger shop vac brand as well which is loud but more powerful. Both work great for cleaning up the lathe and milling machine.

As always question resolved.

Thanks for your help and advice!

I had a Shop-Vac for years with the 1-1/4" hose. It would constantly jam from long swarf. I had to replace the end nozzle from being eaten away by the metal chips. The hose was starting to get eaten away as well and had holes in it.

Since Shop-Vac is out of business, I gave it away and bought the 12 gallon Rigid with 2-1/2" hose. This vacuum doesn't jam and I'm hoping I can get parts for it for a long time when the metal chips starts eroding away the nozzles and hose. The filter is easy to replace and should be available for years ( I hope!).

The only downside of this vacuum compared to my old one is that the hose isn't as flexible since it's double in diameter. Otherwise, I really like it.

Rigid here as well… has worked well for everything so far…

But noisy and was looking for something a bit quieter…

I actually use a shark upright vacuum in the shop. I started using it because it’s what I had lying around, but it actually does a great job. I don’t think I’ll go back to a shop vac type.

Good idea to get a vacuum with a "blow" outlet (not all of them have one), so when the hose DOES clog up with stringy swarf, you can reverse it, and blow it out.

Back