Vaccum cleaner for the shop?

I find most problems with shop vac hoses (as delivered) is their "corrugated" design is what catchs the chip sand swarf. Switching out to a flexible hose with a smooth interior would likely help a lot....
I agree. Do you have any ideas where to buy slick vacuum cleaner hose?

I’d probably check the hardware store for that fibre reinforced hose of appropriate size.

Clear would also let you see any clogs.

Flexibility might be an issue though…
Clear flexible pvc tube is available. I've found this on ebay up to 50mm diameter. I'm sure with a bit more searching there are more sizes.
This type is very flexible, much more so than the braided stuff.

I'd say there's a point of diminishing returns regarding "flexibility".

If the hose is too "soft", it will likely collapse flat when you hit something that blocks the nozzle. I'd like to say caution would alleviate that possibility, but we all end up blocking off the nozzle someway, somehow, sooner or later. That's why I suggested the fiber reinforced hose. Less chance of sucking it flat when the nozzle gets shoved up against something flat and blocks it. The trade off would be a less flexible hose.

The corrugations on the OEM hoses are what give it it's strength and remain flexible. But the corrugations are what we're trying to avoid with a smooth interior hose.

Another option might be to check out some hose from a domestic vacuum cleaner. I know the old electrolux canister style machines had a flexible woven style hose with a liner inside. Might be worth a look, although I'm not sure what the interior of those hoses were lined with. If it's some type of fabric or "pick-able" material, they won't work as the chips and curls will just catch and clog...

Most hoses are too small for stringy swarf and are a pain to remove the longer swarf pieces. The only thing I found works easily is the Black and Decker cordless garden vac. No wires and totally portable with a large diameter suction tube.

View attachment 431068
That‘s a beast! Almost looks like a woodworking dust collector.

Most hoses are too small for stringy swarf and are a pain to remove the longer swarf pieces. The only thing I found works easily is the Black and Decker cordless garden vac. No wires and totally portable with a large diameter suction tube.

View attachment 431068
Yowsa! Seems a bit overkill to me.

Not only that, I can't see me firing it up in the garage when it's closed up and snow is flying around outside.

Edit: whoops. Missed that it's electric and not gas....

Last edited:
Back