Tool Post Grinder -Making a new one...

Ray, have you considered using a DC treadmill motor and control?

I'm thinking you could select pulleys to maximize torque and use the speed control to find the best rpm to give you the best results.

They aren't too heavy either.

Just a thought.
I like that idea. How about a router motor with one of those cheap router motor speed controllers. I have a spare router motor here you can have Ray. You'll have to make a mount for it though.

Marcel

Last edited:
Thanks and I appreciate the offer -and I might take you up on it... I called a buddy who has a good junk collection and he's pretty sure he's got a few motors to choose from. He lives a mile away so, we'll see what turns-up there.

Ray

I like that idea. How about a router motor with one of those cheap router motor speed controllers. I have a spare router motor here you can have Ray. You'll have to make a mount for it though.

Marcel

Some New Year's Eve eye-candy...

It's assembled but in these photos, some of the bolts were just finger tight so if anything doesn't look aligned, hold-off on letting me know until you see the final photos...

It will come apart one more time when I finally decide on how to attach the grinder wheels. Am thinking of a simple thread on the shaft or possibly something a little fancier.

A1.JPGA2.JPG

It isn't all that large as you can see. The CAD program says the body weighs about 5lbs

A3.JPG

Happy New Year...

Ray

A1.JPG A2.JPG A3.JPG

Nice Ray! What kind of grinding wheels are you gonna use, regular bench grinder wheels? Is there a shoulder on the shaft on the grind side?

Ray, it's probably more trouble than it's worth but have you considered tapering the shaft like a SG spindle and making small balancing adapters like you make for your SG?
I can see a few advantages to this approach but the work would be considerable.

Yes, there's a shoulder on the shaft for an arbor plate. You can see it in the PDF model. It extends past the edge of the shield and nuts on that side of the unit.

I'll probably go with a simple threaded shaft. I'll put a little square notch on the drive side so I can use a wrench to tighten the nut on the grind side just a tiny bit (not too much tension of course). As for wheels, I have some 4 & 5" wheels in medium and fine grit that are high speed and meant for applications like this. I'm hoping they well balance well and if not, I have some methods to address that.

@ezduzit: You asked about mounted stones... I'm not sure what you mean.

Anyhow, there will be a safety cover over the guard. It's sitting on the work bench and is not done yet.

-Happy 2014...

Ray

How will you handle mounted stones?

I hope I'm not out of place here but I don't think Ray designed this tool to spin at the RPM required for internal grinding with small wheels or mounted stones.
Even the old plain bearing ID grinders are designed to spin at least 10,000 RPM and the newer, high tech ones can spin to 100,000+.

Ah, I got y'a... Correct. This was designed for external grinding. The bearings are all rated for 10,000 RPM (or higher) but my plans are to keep this in the 6000 range. I have another idea in mind for an internal bore grinder. Still thinking about it...

Ray

I hope I'm not out of place here but I don't think Ray designed this tool to spin at the RPM required for internal grinding with small wheels or mounted stones.
Even the old plain bearing ID grinders are designed to spin at least 10,000 RPM and the newer, high tech ones can spin to 100,000+.

Back