Tool Post Grinder -Making a new one...

I never would have guessed a 60 grit wheel would give such a nice finish, but I guess the fine feed makes up for the course wheel. I gotta start cutting back on my coffee consumption at night. Lately I've been rattling all kinds of projects around in my brain before I fall asleep.

On another note, I just ordered the bearings for the Rotary Broach build. I'll be doing a how-to on it once the bearings come in.

Marcel

Oh, BTW: The wheel and shaft must rotate counter to each other. -And make sure you cover your ways with paper towels sprayed with WD-40 etc. Surfacing the wheel with a diamond makes a fair amount of grit/dust. The dust from the actual grind is not bad but still, keep your ways covered with oily paper towels. The oily towels seems to attract and retain the grit better. I'd shy away from using regular cotton rags -lest one gets caught in the leadscrew or some other undesirable mechanical location. A paper towel isn't going hurt anything if it gets jammed in a crevasse.

Ray

This is most likely going to be my next project Ray. I just finished up the rotary broach. I've been wanting a TPG for a while. I'm looking forward to the 2D drawings.

I already have the bearings here, thanks to you pointing me in the right direction on Ebay. I'm gonna study this thread and start rounding up materials for it. I'd like to find a motor that's a little more compact than the 1/3hp that i have, with around 3/4 hp. I don't want DC, just a simple 110v motor, I think. I'm gonna poke around eBay to see what I can find.

Marcel

This is most likely going to be my next project Ray. I just finished up the rotary broach. I've been wanting a TPG for a while. I'm looking forward to the 2D drawings.

I already have the bearings here, thanks to you pointing me in the right direction on Ebay. I'm gonna study this thread and start rounding up materials for it. I'd like to find a motor that's a little more compact than the 1/3hp that i have, with around 3/4 hp. I don't want DC, just a simple 110v motor, I think. I'm gonna poke around eBay to see what I can find.

Marcel

It's going to take me a little while to make these 2D drawings. For the most part, the software does all the hard work but, some objects, by nature of their shape and profile are not easy to tag with dimensions and still give the reader a useful idea of the actual depths. Several factors at play that are too difficult to describe... Suffice it to say, it's good practice for me to do it...

Anyhow, give me a little time to draw this up so it's readable.

Ray

Ray, no worries on the 2D drawings. I'm pretty good at winging things on a napkin and refining it as I go. I can't figure out how you are preloading the taper bearings. I must be missing something in the PDFs. Did you take pictures of the assembly going together? That would be very helpful.

Marcel

Ray, no worries on the 2D drawings. I'm pretty good at winging things on a napkin and refining it as I go. I can't figure out how you are preloading the taper bearings. I must be missing something in the PDFs. Did you take pictures of the assembly going together? That would be very helpful.

Marcel

Take a look at this PDF. You'll see a wave spring washer pushing against the green-colored model of the radial thrust bearing. The trick here, is that the radial shaft bearing to the right of the wave washer cannot have any play at all. It's a dead-on fit between the shaft and the radial bearing. That way, you only need enough pressure from the wave washer to keep the bearing seated.

Ray

View attachment WaveWasherClose-UpTPGAssembly.pdf

I just ordered this Workshop series Book #27 from amazon. http://www.amazon.com/Spindles-Work...ref=lh_ni_t?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3ADN03F2ABAVW On the cover is a spindle using only 2 tapered bearings, which is what I want to do. The book cost $12. I'm bound to learn a thing or 2 out of it. I've seen quite a few home made TPGs using a Router motor. I have 3 of them here, from 3/4 hp to 1hp. The RPMs are quite high on these but I think I can pulley it down to about 3000rpm. The 1/3 hp motor I have is still on the table too. It's a bit larger than the router motors but it would be whisper quiet. The routers are noisy as hell but smaller. I'm leaning towards quiet!:))

Marcel

About using cloth over the ways: NEVER use cloth. The grit will go right through the weave. Use paper or plastic. Fold them inwardly slowly when done,and throw them away at once. Wipe everything on the lathe down anyway after removing the plastic. In fact, I'd wipe the lathe down where ever it is naked BEFORE removing the plastic.

I was surprised you found a motor that runs smooth enough to leave a good surface. Actual grinder motors are carefully balanced to leave minimal vibration.

My favorite brand of tool post grinder is Themac. I have a brand new one that is small enough to use on the Hardinge HLVH. But,it is large enough to do whatever grinding I want to do.

About using cloth over the ways: NEVER use cloth. The grit will go right through the weave. Use paper or plastic. Fold them inwardly slowly when done,and throw them away at once. Wipe everything on the lathe down anyway after removing the plastic. In fact, I'd wipe the lathe down where ever it is naked BEFORE removing the plastic.

I was surprised you found a motor that runs smooth enough to leave a good surface. Actual grinder motors are carefully balanced to leave minimal vibration.

My favorite brand of tool post grinder is Themac. I have a brand new one that is small enough to use on the Hardinge HLVH. But,it is large enough to do whatever grinding I want to do.

George, I understand that grinder motors are carefully balanced, but this usually because the wheels are directly mounted to the shaft isn't it? When using a belt wouldn't much of the vibration and resonance from the motor be eliminated by the belt? Of course this will not fix an imbalanced wheel.

Paul.

Back