The South Bend heavy 9 Rebuild

Well here's my first "fine adjustment" question. It seems I am getting excessive noise with the back gear engaged - problem is I don't really know what excessive is. I've attached a you tube video that I hope will allow you to determine if further adjustment is needed. I've got minimal free play in the back gear when engaged. The first part of the video is without back gearing you can hear the "soothing" sound of the metal lacing :) . The second part os trying to demonstrate the free play in the back gear. The final section is demonstrating running with the back gear engaged.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMDPuARPUHo&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Thanks for any advice you may have
Rick

I tried some recommendations for lubrication the open faced gears. I used a 90 weight gear oil which quitted it down some. I'm calling it good and moving on. My biggest concern is that something wasn't assemble right.

Next up is the gear train - that is really making some noise. I'm hoping to get a video tomorrow.

Thanks
Rick

I think I may have found the source of the offending noise. I put some oil on the gear faces and it seemed to quiet down quite a bit. Then I started isolating the gears. During this process I noticed that the real bad noise was only evident when the sliding gear was "in". I pulled the banjo to make sure I had it assembled correctly and lo and behold it appears there is a ball detent, spring and screw missing. It appears the ball fits grooves in the shaft that maintains position of the sliding gear. When the sliding gear is out it can still move but there is nothing for it to interfere with. When it is in I think it is slopping around and hitting adjacent gear surfaces. Make sense?

In any event I am trying to source those parts to eliminate that as the potential problem. In the meantime, I'm going to start on the tail stock - At least one question to follow soon :)

Thanks
Rick

The final major piece - the Tail Stock. Somewhere way upthread I think I started with this problem but I will repost the issue so you don't have to go searching.

The tail stock that came with the lathe had an aftermarket non-SB handle, the screw was mangled where the handle locks in place, the bed clamp was user fabricated and the quill locking clampo had some significant "work" done on it. So all in all it was a mess. I have gotten proper parts to fix these problems but am left with one bigger issue.

The TS base plate has a brass shim on the flat side (see pictures below) and the V side has a groove about 3/4 of the way up the V. I'm thinking this is going to be nothing but problems as I proceed?
If I can find a new baseplate what would be required? I have read about scraping the TS to fit the bed but really don't know what that means. Is this a big deal to do?

TSBaseShim.jpg

TSBaseBedSurface.jpg

Thanks
Rick

TSBaseShim.jpg

TSBaseBedSurface.jpg

Good evening folks. Well this journey started just about 17 months ago when I brought home a heavy 9 south bend lathe. At that time I didn't even know how to turn it on or what all of the various knobs and doo dads were for. I decided to do a complete tear down primarily to get an understanding of the inner workings of the lathe but also to give it a good cleaning.

I didn't so anything for the first 7 months except look at it and wonder what I had got my self into. In Septemeber 2011 I started the tear down. I took a couple of months off recently due to some health issues and then got back it in March 2012. Today I put the last cover on and called it done.
Whiule this restore doesn't meet the museum quality standards set by some others (you know who you are :))every nut, bolt, screw, casting, gear and shaft was disassembled, cleaned and painted. I learned a ton through that process and wouldrecommend it to anyone who is a relative newby to lathes. I do have to say that it would never have happened without the generous help and support of many folks on this and other forums. I'm not going to name names because I'm sure I would forget one or more but you know who you are. Hopefully this process will allow me to give back to others based on what I have learned.

My next steps are to do the fine tuning / set up - primarily the tailstock alignment and recheck of the leveling. Then I will move to develop the skills necessary to actually make something :) - so expect a lot more questions.

Here's a link to a short youtube video with somebefore and after pictures.
Sb Movie with Music - YouTube

Enjoy and thanks again.
Rick

Rick,

Your rebuild is a real learning experience for the rest of us and I thank you sincerely for it.

Please ask the gang any questions you may have about operation- they can give you some great answers. We have some wonderful people on here!

:tiphat:Nelson

You say this is not a museum quality rebuild but I disagree! It has turned out beautifully! What a great looking machine, If my 10L rebuild turns out half as good as what you have done on this one I'll be happy. Great job, well done!

thanks formthe coomemts - i do appreciate them

Rick

Terrific work and Presentation. Not taken lightly.......only admired.

Thank you!

Back