The South Bend heavy 9 Rebuild

Thanks Ron- there's a method to my madness. I started knowing nothing about how a lathe works. I nkow have an iimate understanding of what is going on inside the apron when a control lever or half nut lever is changed.

Rick

Rick,

This quote you had earlier in the thread is exactly how I feel now. After restoring the Apron - I know what it does, how it works, whats going on :))

BTW - If there was ever a "show room Apron"....man, this is it.....beautiful!

Chester - my understanding is that a heavy nine is a lot closer to a heavy ten than a nine - there are definite differences though so you will find some grey areas. can you post a picture or two of what your current problem is?

Rick

Rick, post a picture, I am lucky I can type on this thing, remember I am 65 , beside that I seen your pictures. I would have to change my name and move. Chester Happy Thanksgiving!!!!

Chester - pictures aren't that hard -really I'm 63 so let's mot bring up age :. if you do a search you'll probably'find a set of imstructions for photo posting. Pictures really'do help to clarify questons and get yu more help. Check in the practice forum - i think there is something there

Rick

R
Chester - pictures aren't that hard -really I'm 63 so let's mot bring up age :. if you do a search you'll probably'find a set of imstructions for photo posting. Pictures really'do help to clarify questons and get yu more help. Check in the practice forum - i think there is something there

Rick

Rick, I will try the practice forum and to get a picture. Thanks for telling me about this forum. Hope you and everyone had a happy thanksgiving, Chester

R

Rick, I will try the practice forum and to get a picture. Thanks for telling me about this forum. Hope you and everyone had a happy thanksgiving, Chester

Rick, I cannot get a picture from cell phone to I-Pad. Mr. Woodpickgreg has pictures of a heavy 10 of single arm banjo with the two large and smaller gears, one a sliding gear, which is what I have. The two gears I am missing are the wider gear that fit on single tumbler gear box, and the gear lacated right below double reverse gears on the outside running on the large gear on the banjo, not the. sliding gear. He counted the tooth number and mearsue the diameter, i don't think they would fit my lathe. This may be one of the small differents your talk about, between a heavy 9 and heavy 10. If you have any idea of what I am trying to say, could you tell me the diameter and tooth count of these gears. I only have three more weeks of school, and really would like to having it running for the kids. It seem we are the only people that have a heavy 9, single tumble gear box, and I am lost here. Thanks for all you have done, and still working on some pictures. Chester

EXCELLENT job sir! I am restoring an Atlas 618 lathe and hope it turns out as good as yours! The only experience I have with a lathe is from 35 years ago in my high school metal shop. I am making every mistake in the book, but I'm learing every step of the way. I am also posting videos to youtube because "If a picture is worth a 1000 words, a video is worth a million"! Thank you very much for sharing this.......

Rick,

I had NO IDEA of the magnitude of your rebuild. I salute you for doing an INCREDIBLE JOB and bringing an old beauty back to life. It looks better than new! I take back the suggestion about selling which I made on the phone the other day. Hang on to this baby - but IF you ever do decide to sell, that figure you mentioned is far too low.

Again, congratulations on a fine job.

Regards,

Mike

Good evening folks. Well this journey started just about 17 months ago when I brought home a heavy 9 south bend lathe. At that time I didn't even know how to turn it on or what all of the various knobs and doo dads were for. I decided to do a complete tear down primarily to get an understanding of the inner workings of the lathe but also to give it a good cleaning.

I didn't so anything for the first 7 months except look at it and wonder what I had got my self into. In Septemeber 2011 I started the tear down. I took a couple of months off recently due to some health issues and then got back it in March 2012. Today I put the last cover on and called it done.
Whiule this restore doesn't meet the museum quality standards set by some others (you know who you are :))every nut, bolt, screw, casting, gear and shaft was disassembled, cleaned and painted. I learned a ton through that process and wouldrecommend it to anyone who is a relative newby to lathes. I do have to say that it would never have happened without the generous help and support of many folks on this and other forums. I'm not going to name names because I'm sure I would forget one or more but you know who you are. Hopefully this process will allow me to give back to others based on what I have learned.

My next steps are to do the fine tuning / set up - primarily the tailstock alignment and recheck of the leveling. Then I will move to develop the skills necessary to actually make something :) - so expect a lot more questions.

Here's a link to a short youtube video with somebefore and after pictures.
Sb Movie with Music - YouTube

Enjoy and thanks again.
Rick

Back