The South Bend heavy 9 Rebuild

wow you have a gift for restoration
very impressive did you get it dirty yet:))
steve

Steve - yep its getting dirty - the first time was the hardest butI restored it to use not look at :

Rick

I know what you mean about the first
I just got a new lathe it came painted white? what where they thinking
well your lathes ready for another 70 years good job
show some parts when you get a chance
steve

Beautiful work Rick, definitely something to be proud of. I did the same as you, bought a lathe with no machining experience and restored it. Not only do you learn what everything on the lathe does but also how it does it. That experience transfers over to the other tools you will undoubtably be buying as well.

Shawn

Hi, I am trying to restore a heavy 9, but having trouble fitting gears on end of head spindle. I been buying gears for a 9, should I be getting gears for a heavy 10? Is the heavy 9 head stock same as a heavy 10. I also have single handle quick gear change box, but 9 banjo does not fit, to big. This lathe was in parts not sure I have right gears. I am a 65 year old student who never did any machine work. I don' t know if I am in right place writing tis, just looking for help. Thanks Chester

Steve - yep its getting dirty - the first time was the hardest butI restored it to use not look at :

Rick

Hi, Rick I cannot tell you how nice of a job you did! I am re building a heavy 9 also, but having trouble with gears that go from spindle to lead screw, also the banjo I have a single handle quick gear box. Can you help me on books or pictures? I can see from some of your pictures I have wrong gear door cover. I am 65 retire lab tech fom a chemical plant, had no machining knowledge. Now I am going to Vo Tech for machining, learn a lot but so more to go, also having some fun. Thanks Chester

Chester - when i started i bought the book and kit linked below. I talked with Steve (guy who sells it) and he said it was not specific to the heavy 9 but was proably as close as Iwas going to get. Many sections are a direct fit - a few are not. when you hit those areas come back and ask questions - lots of helpful/smart guys here.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rebuild-Boo...078?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2563cc095e

Rick

Chester - when i started i bought the book and kit linked below. I talked with Steve (guy who sells it) and he said it was not specific to the heavy 9 but was proably as close as Iwas going to get. Many sections are a direct fit - a few are not. when you hit those areas come back and ask questions - lots of helpful/smart guys here.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rebuild-Boo...078?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2563cc095e

Rick
Rick, I have have similar book only it is for a 9. I have made a counter shaft, door holler, but wrong door, etc. My problem now is the gears and banjo. The book show only a double handle quick box, and nothing about the gears. I see you have single arm banjo, my book show only a double arm. I would get this book about 10 lathe if it would work. Right now it seem every thing I am getting is wrong item. I order a 20t gear for a 9, doesn't fit, same with banjo. Is heavy 9 so different from a regular 9? I am really lost here. I have about the right knowledge to be dumb. Thanks and anything would great, Chester

Chester - my understanding is that a heavy nine is a lot closer to a heavy ten than a nine - there are definite differences though so you will find some grey areas. can you post a picture or two of what your current problem is?

Rick

Chester - my understanding is that a heavy nine is a lot closer to a heavy ten than a nine - there are definite differences though so you will find some grey areas. can you post a picture or two of what your current problem is?

Rick

Rick, after I saw a regular 9 and a heavy 10, plus your, I started to think this. The banjo, door and gears that I purchase didn't fit. Thanks to you I think I am on the right path. As I have said I am in a Voc Tech school with high school kids, I am retire and 65 years old, married today for 37 years. This project start this Sept. at Voct Tech., I start school last Jan. At first I was just doing it all, but little by little kids start watching more and asking if they could help. Somehow it become important to them. When we got the thing together, no auto feed, and plug it in the kids start clapping, my treacher was suprised, as well as myself. Each have taking turns cutting. It a great feeling to build something as people have said about your lathe. What I am trying to say is Thanks very much, Chester

Back