The South Bend heavy 9 Rebuild

I mocked up a prtottype by getting a shortpiece of 1/8 crs at the local hardware. it fit pretty good so I am concluding the pin os'1/8" diameter X 7/8" long. I was thinking of just using the crs but then i found a place where I can order 5 versus 100 so I'll probably order an alloy dowel pin.

With regard to the missing set screws in the shaft ends - I figured I would drill and tap the ends for set screws. Well I managed to really mangle that - off center holes, broken tap,yada, yada. I ended up cleaning the oil paths with fine wire, an eye dropper and pipe cleaners which seemed to work well. Right now I'm planning on sealing the mangled holes with some JB weld.

Well being in waiting mode again I moved on to the head stock. That all went pretty well except for the back gear assembly. I got the bushing lock screws out. I also got the taper pin out that goes through the eccentric bushing and shaft. Interesting that it came out in two pieces - but its out without any drilling or other magic. Here's the problem - according to the rebuild manual the shaft should now just pull out of the bushings and tube for the two gears - yeah right ;). It definitely is not coming out very easy. The gear assembly is turning easily so that is freed up. When I try to remove the shaft I can see that the bushings are turning with the shaft and its not coming out. I tried a bearing splitter on the end of the shaft under the handle - no luck. I've tried an arbor press - no luck. I didn't go very far with either of these methods for fear of breaking something. It seems like there is some other locking mechanism holding the shaft but I can't find anything. I've got the spindle and other stuff out of the casting so right now its just the casting and the back gear assembly. Is there something I'm missing? Any ideas on what to do next?

Thanks
Rick

Well now I'm disassembling the spindle and have a question or two. I'm down to the cone pulley but not sure how it is attached. There is a plunger on the bull gear that locks the cone cone pulley on the spindle. When that plunger is out the cone pulley spins freely on the spindle and has about a 1/4" of lateral movement and then stops - like its hitting some kind of stop. The fact that it spins freely tells me its not pinned to the spindle and I don't see any pins or screws (oyther than the oil hole screw in the second step) that would cause it not to come off. Here's a picture of the spindle and a second one of the plunger - you can see the plunger in the 2 o'clock position

Spindle.jpg

SpindlePlunger.jpg

Any suggestions or thoughts?

Thanks
Rick

Spindle.jpg

Spindle.jpg

SpindlePlunger.jpg

SpindlePlunger.jpg

Spindle problem resolved. based on some advice I squirted some Kroil into the oil hole, let it sit a few minutes and then stood it up on some towels and banged the spindle end on the bench. Cone pulley came right off.

Unfortunately in the process Idiscovered I am missing two teeth on the bull gear. Oh well - another problem to resolve.

Another problem resolved - I found a source for both chipped gears at a reasonable price. i also got the jack screw holes drilled and tapped in the pedestal base and got all of the headstock parts cleaned and painted. i'm starting to feel like i might actually pull this off - of course i haven't reassembled anything yet ;)

I thought it was time for a brief update. I’ve been making some pretty good progress recently. I think I’m finally through the greasy, grimy clean up stage. Most of the parts and pieces have been disassembled, cleaned and painted (excluding the tailstock). A number of problems have been identified and, for the most part, resolved.
1. Motor drive belt adjustment – new longer belt installed which provides room for adjustment should I need it.
2. Electrical issues resolved – wiring from motor to junction box to switch installed and tested
3. Missing taper pin (no hole for taper pin) on the cone gear locking nut resolved by drilling and tapping for a set screw.
4. Missing dowel pin on the clutch dog gear replaced with off the shelf pin. Burrs in the pin hole required some tune up with a small drill.
5. Bent cross feed screw – in process of repair by another member.
6. Problem with back gear disassembly – finally figured that out and got it apart.
7. Missing teeth on back gear and bull gear – replacement gears found.
8. Several missing/broken taper pins – replacements obtained
9. Damaged threads on spindle end – take up nut – thread restore files on order
10. Lathe placement and leveling – spot picked; jack screw concept with foot pads to be used for leveling – stole that idea from another member. Base parts drilled and tapped for 5/8 -18 jack screws; waiting for pads.

One remaining unknown is the speed change handle on the apron – I really mangled that trying to get the taper pin out. I think the replacement taper pin will work but I may end up having to replace the handle itself.

Pieces and parts awaiting assembly - this doesn't include a half dozen boxes/bags of stuff

PiecesandParts.jpg

Lathe placement – nothing is bolted together yet so any thoughts or suggestions will be appreciated

LathePlacement2.jpg

LathePlacement1.jpg

Assembled gear box – needs some paint touch up after assembly.

Before
SB2.jpg

GearboxDisassembly.jpg

After
AssembledGearBox4.jpg

AssembledGearBox3.jpg

AssembledGearBox1.jpg

AssembledGearBox2.jpg

Next up – assembly of reversing gears followed by the apron

One question on the gear box – there is a long brass tube for oiling that I need to bend out of the way of the shifter and I’m not sure it is properly positioned. What is the target of this oiler?
Thanks for looking and more to come.
Rick

PiecesandParts.jpg

PiecesandParts.jpg

LathePlacement2.jpg

LathePlacement2.jpg

LathePlacement1.jpg

LathePlacement1.jpg

SB2.jpg

SB2.jpg

GearboxDisassembly.jpg

GearboxDisassembly.jpg

AssembledGearBox4.jpg

AssembledGearBox4.jpg

AssembledGearBox3.jpg

AssembledGearBox3.jpg

AssembledGearBox1.jpg

AssembledGearBox1.jpg

AssembledGearBox2.jpg

AssembledGearBox2.jpg

with the help of others i think i now understand where the long copper oil tube needs to be positioned. it needs to feed oil into the oil hole in the shift lever when the shift lever os positioned in the hole/slot under the oil hole in the casting. Rick

Hello folks - well I'm back after a 2-1/2 month hiatus due to some health issues that I won't bore you with the details. Today I got back to the lathe - specifically organizing the apron parts for reassembly. I discovered that somewhere along the line I've lost a part. It is the lock ring that goes on the splined clutch shaft - just below the lobed clutch rings.

Does anybody know the size of this lock ring - or better yet have one laying around they would be willing to sell :) ? The part number is PT408R1.

Thanks for any help you may be able to offer.

Rick​

It is the lock ring that goes on the splined clutch shaft

Rick, I dont know the specific part you are looking for but I do have a few spare bits around.
Can you post a pic of where it goes and also the measured size of the part it threads on to?

Cheers Phil

Back