The South Bend heavy 9 Rebuild

Rick - I hear ya ;) - with my level oof inexperience I'm trying to do this in sections - and fit in pieces between paint drying and other wood working projects. I'm not sure how I ever got amything done before I retired ;)

Jim - I appreciate any info you can provide - thanks It sounds like maybe the yahoo group may be a good place to visit - are they a pretty helpful group for beginners and hobbiests?

Rick

Now that I have the bed cleaned up and blasted - I'm wondering what the best way is to evaluate the ways - in other words what doi I look for. This lathe is coming up on being 72 years old so I am expecting wear issues but I am really looking for usable - not perfect - that kinda matches my current skill level.
What I've noticed so far is that the scraping marks are clearly visible about halway down the bed from the headstock then they disappear (this is a 36" bed). There are also some nicks in the VEE portion in some areas. Finally there is a groove about 2/3 down the inside rear VEE back in the tail stock area.
What I woiuld like to be able to do is decide if I should pursue this lathe any further or if the bed is a total wash out?
Thanks
Rick

Jim - thanks so much for the reassurance - i am going to take your advice for sure. one question though - when I run my hand down the ways I can feel some burrs where the nicks are - should i very lightly file those areas to remove the burrs? thanks - i really appreciate your input.

Thanks Rick for the bed repair ideas - I've moved the bed back in the queue some. in the meantime I'm getting ready to do some re-assembly of the base and drive system on this lathe and I've got some lubrication questions. I guess the first relates to the various lubricants recommended in the rebuild manual i'm using. They are Mobile velocite 10, Mobile dte 32, Mobile dte 68 and Mobile vactra medium way oil. Are any or all of these lubricants generally available locally (NAPA for example) and if not where do I head for them? The second question relates to the ring oiling mechanism for the countershaft - the manual doesn't cover this so I'm wondering which of the above lubricants would be appropriate. Also - how much oil would I put in the countershaft oil resorvoir - just enough to keep the ring in the oil?Thanks
Rick

I had a need to get something completed on this lathe ;) so I re-assembled the pedestal and drive parts. I think it came out pretty well - just not sure at this point about the drive belt tension. All that is left to do is get some oil for the countershaft and the conduit/wire for the motor electrical connections. The color is going to appear gray in the pictures below but it really has a lot of green in it. Chalk it up to my poor photography skills.

Front.jpg

FrontOpen.jpg

Leftside.jpg

LeftSideOpen.jpg

RightSide.jpg

Front.jpg

Front.jpg

FrontOpen.jpg

FrontOpen.jpg

Leftside.jpg

Leftside.jpg

LeftSideOpen.jpg

LeftSideOpen.jpg

RightSide.jpg

RightSide.jpg

This comes up quite often on the Yahoo Southbendlathe group. I dont remember the answer.

If if now one here answerers I will try to dig up some information

Jim - i'm still struggling with this and was wondering if you ever had a chance to look for some info?

thanks

Rick

i finally got the clutch assembly apart. Omce I figured out a way to wedge/lock it I was able to get a wrench on the nut and give the wrnech a few quick raps and the nut loosened up. from there the rest was easy.

I just posted a WTB for a crossfeed screw and bushing - same as heavy 10 with large dial. Thought I'd post here as well in case not everyone frequesnts the classifieds.

Thanks

Rick

I just posted a WTB for a crossfeed screw and bushing - same as heavy 10 with large dial. Thought I'd post here as well in case not everyone frequesnts the classifieds.

Thanks

Rick

Rick,

Two people may have one- Ted Pflugner latheman2@aol.com or Ron Cammarata ipenelopepitstop@aol.com

Also- check Joe Bergamo at www.plazamachinery.com

The large dial ones don't come cheap. There is also a guy on Ebay "Xtrucker" who has them- but he isn't cheap.

Nelson

Back