The New 1340GT from PM

Just out of curiosity, how does this take place?

Does the trucking company call to arrange a delivery date and time, at least a window? Or do they just show up and hope someone is home? Or is it our responsibility to call the trucking company and make such plans? I would assume most would have to arrange work schedules like myself to be home/available.

Thanks.

Mike.

Just got a call from the trucking company, my lathe landed in Sacramento this morning, they will deliver between 8 and 12 on Monday 08/04/14. Yeahhhh

Danny

Just got a call from the trucking company, my lathe landed in Sacramento this morning, they will deliver between 8 and 12 on Monday 08/04/14. Yeahhhh

Danny

Awesome Danny, I am happy for ya. Can't wait to see it set up and making chips.:thumbsup2:

Mike.

Guys...

As far as chucks... Here's a few thoughts/opinions from yours truly:

6", 3J scroll and 8", 4J independent chucks cost about the same amount and can range from about $175 to $700. That's a huge price range! Is there a difference between one costing $175 and another costing $700? I should hope so but, do not know the answer because all my chucks are in the $175 to $250 range. I'm quite happy with them. With a little fine tuning, they all balance well and the jaws are nice and even. If I had to guess, an expensive chuck will not need to be balanced and the jaws probably do not need to be tweaked for straightness (but I wouldn't hold my breath). If you mount an expensive chuck to a backplate, you'll still need to do fitting on the interfaces.

I guess there are set-tru chucks... -Don't see the need for that because when I tune my chucks, they're as good as any chuck will ever be. When they were new, they were a little stiff -but a couple months later, they weren't stiff anymore. I supposed I could have deburred the components -but at the risk of doing more harm than good... My expectations of a chuck are not high. If it repeats within a few thou, it's good. If I need better repeatability than that I'll use collets or spin between centers.

My collet chuck is steel and my jawed chucks are semi-steel. Given the nature of how jaws operate, I don't think making a jawed chuck out of steel will make it work any better or last any longer...

I just don't understand what's so great about an expensive chuck. The chucks that came with my lathe are perfectly fine once they were fitted properly.

Ray

From what I've learned about chucks here is that a decent Chinese chuck needs to be dismantled, cleaned and tuned and then it works quite well. If you had to pay American wages to get that done it would cost a lot more. I'm happy to put in a little time and spend the saved money on another cool tool.

Dave

So why would someone pay extra for a better quality lathe, only to cheap out on the accessories? People can justify anything to themselves, and I get that (the 'to each his own' thingie...), but this just doesn't appear logical.

Someone buys/owns a chinese machine would likely be satisfied with chinese accessories. I just don't see that reasoning coming from anyone willing to pay significantly more for a higher-end machine.

If I roll out that much extra cash for a lathe, I'm going to put a Bison or something of similar quality on it.

But that's just me. :)

Bill

So why would someone pay extra for a better quality lathe, only to cheap out on the accessories? People can justify anything to themselves, and I get that (the 'to each his own' thingie...), but this just doesn't appear logical.

Someone buys/owns a chinese machine would likely be satisfied with chinese accessories. I just don't see that reasoning coming from anyone willing to pay significantly more for a higher-end machine.

If I roll out that much extra cash for a lathe, I'm going to put a Bison or something of similar quality on it.

But that's just me. :)

Bill

Same reason you buy real estate for location. The building is just an add-on that can be upgraded later when funds allow.

Same reason you buy real estate for location.

Don't buy that one either (pun intended), but I do vaguely remember some real estate weenie trying to tell me that when I lived in silly cone valley. :)

Bill

Awesome Danny, I am happy for ya. Can't wait to see it set up and making chips.:thumbsup2:

Mike.

Mike,

Look at what I got just an hour ago......

photo 2.JPGphoto 3.JPGphoto 1.JPG

As soon as I get some time later on today I will try to take more pic of the uncrating process.

Danny

photo 2.JPG photo 3.JPG photo 1.JPG

Congrats Danny. Can't wait to see it set up and running.

Thanks for rubbing it in though.:impatient:

Actually, I just called Road Runner Freight when I got back from lunch about a half hour ago. They informed me that it is supposed to be arriving at the Salt Lake City hub sometime today and that someone will be calling me either this afternoon or in the morning to set up a delivery time/date. I wish I could get it in the morning but I have corporate people coming in to work tomorrow so I hope to schedule it for Wednesday in the AM.

Mike.

Oh, hey, nice looking FJ in the driveway too.

Christmas in August!

pics....we need pics. When you get time of course. :))

Bill

Back