The New 1340GT from PM

Mike,

Tracking on road runner web site sucks (assuming they uses road runner freight as your shipper). Ask Matt for your PRO # then call (877) 392-1729 they have much more up to date info on where your shipment is. Mine should be arriving by 08/04/14 or 08/05/14. All electrical wiring are done, just need to install some more overhead lighting.

Danny

Great, thanks Danny.

Yes it is Road Runner Freight. Just out of curiosity what day did yours leave PA?

Mike.

Great, thanks Danny.

Yes it is Road Runner Freight. Just out of curiosity what day did yours leave PA?

Mike.

Mike,

Pick up from Quality Machine tools 07/22/14
Trailer dispatch from Belle Vernon PA to Bolingbrock IL 07/23/14
Trailer arrived Bolingbrock IL 07/24/14
Trailer dispatched West Sacramento CA 07/29/14

Danny

Just out of curiosity, how does this take place?

Does the trucking company call to arrange a delivery date and time, at least a window? Or do they just show up and hope someone is home? Or is it our responsibility to call the trucking company and make such plans? I would assume most would have to arrange work schedules like myself to be home/available.

Thanks.

Mike.

Does the trucking company call to arrange a delivery date and time, at least a window? Or do they just show up and hope someone is home? Or is it our responsibility to call the trucking company and make such plans? I would assume most would have to arrange work schedules like myself to be home/available.

Thanks.

Mike.

Just so you know, we have truck brokering service. We call, tell them the destination and the broker arranges to pick it up and send it to the trucking line. We have no idea what trucking company will handle it until the day after they pick it up and send the tracking number.

As for drop-off, things can transpire in one of two ways. A) When you get your tracking number, call the carrier and negotiate the drop off to your place. Usually, you'll speak to the driver or a dispatcher. B) If you don't call the carrier, they will call you when it arrives at the terminal and will arrange a local drop-off at the time you negotiate.

Ray

Great. Thanks for the explanation Ray.

Just out of curiosity, how long afterwards does it take to get a tracking #. Nicole sent me a message on Tuesday afternoon stating that it left their warehouse and that she would send me the tracking information within 24-hours. However, we are at almost 48-hours since that message and I have not seen anything else.

Thanks.

Mike.

Thanks.

Mike.

Bolingbrock must be a nice place. My mill spent quite a few days there according to the tracking info I received.

I can't recall the exact sequence of events, but at one point I called to check on a status (the people at RR were able to tell me more than the website) and I was told it had arrived. We made arrangements and the truck was there the next day or whenever. I forgot the vehicle-term for it, but if you have space issues like me (dead end street, hilly area) tell them about it and ask them to send a smaller truck instead of a semi. Bobcat, maybe?

The guy was able to back into the driveway for an easy unload, but nearly dropped the crate by hitting the pallet on the floor of the truck while the lift gate was going down(
:panic:.) Wide pallet, narrow lift gate. That would have been a problem. Before he did any hard work, I offered him some green to get it into the garage using the pallet jack so I didn't have to leave it outside for a minute, and that was it.

One final suggestion is have it delivered early in the day (for those of us out west) so QMT is open and you can call them. My DRO shipped separately due to stock issues but nobody told me. It was much less stressful to call and confirm I got everything they shipped than to wonder if a missing DRO counts as reason to not accept. BTW, look at the crate before they offload it in case any damage so obvious that you don't want to accept it, right? Mine looked great and the crate job was top-notch.

-Ryan

Bolingbrock must be a nice place. My mill spent quite a few days there according to the tracking info I received.

I can't recall the exact sequence of events, but at one point I called to check on a status (the people at RR were able to tell me more than the website) and I was told it had arrived. We made arrangements and the truck was there the next day or whenever. I forgot the vehicle-term for it, but if you have space issues like me (dead end street, hilly area) tell them about it and ask them to send a smaller truck instead of a semi. Bobcat, maybe?

The guy was able to back into the driveway for an easy unload, but nearly dropped the crate by hitting the pallet on the floor of the truck while the lift gate was going down(
:panic:.) Wide pallet, narrow lift gate. That would have been a problem. Before he did any hard work, I offered him some green to get it into the garage using the pallet jack so I didn't have to leave it outside for a minute, and that was it.

One final suggestion is have it delivered early in the day (for those of us out west) so QMT is open and you can call them. My DRO shipped separately due to stock issues but nobody told me. It was much less stressful to call and confirm I got everything they shipped than to wonder if a missing DRO counts as reason to not accept. BTW, look at the crate before they offload it in case any damage so obvious that you don't want to accept it, right? Mine looked great and the crate job was top-notch.

-Ryan

Thanks Ryan. My street has easy entrance and exit so no issues there and the driveway is only slightly elevated from the street, should be able to roll it back on a pallet jack. Concrete drive from the street to the shop in the back yard.

Mike.

My 1340GT left Pittsburgh, PA on Wednesday, 7/30/14 and was scheduled to be delivered to me in extreme southern coastal New Jersey (appx. 8 hour road trip depending on Philly traffic) on Thursday 7/31/14. I actually had to tell the shipping company to stand down since I couldn't get the hoist from my friend's diesel shop until late Friday. So, now we're all set up for Monday, 8/4/14 delivery. PittOhio is the carrier and they were great to deal with @ their Cherry Hill, NJ hub re. the rescheduled delivery. No extra charges for reschedule.

Still a little uneasy about the report of Chinese chucks and other Chinese appurtenances. I was not told there would be any tooling, etc. of Chinese manufacture on the 1340GT nor is that indicated in the literature on the 1340GT. I'll give the Chinese stuff a chance to see how they perform.

I hope all of you who are still waiting have those new machines in hand very soon.

Maybe I'm talking out of turn having not ordered one of these yet, but as far as chucks and tool posts and such, is there even anything on a level of quality between Chinese manufacturers and Aloris/Buck/Bison/etc.? (Honest question.) I don't recall ever wondering who made the accessories, but $600 for two chucks, a drill chuck, live center, light and a few other bits doesn't sound viable unless it's Chinese. I'd ask that you guys who bought this package please report on your findings with an open mind like TFC intends to do. If it's not really worth the cost, no sense in taking what's offered as a deal. I'll source it elsewhere or spend more.

At least (if Chinese) it's not made in India. Hard to believe something shows up from Enco and I'm relieved to see it's made in China..

-Ryan

I agree with Ryan. When I looked at the spec sheet for the PM1340GT, I didn't expect the Buck/Bison chuck quality in the "Preferred Package". However, after speaking with Matt and inquiring about exactly that, he did lead me to believe that these chucks are very good quality for the price point they are offered at. I sent a few private messages to those who I had seen purchased this lathe and was pleased to hear back that they have been happy with the chucks that the machines came with.

I had a Chinese chuck on my Smithy previously and was also pleased with it and it never gave me reason to be unhappy with it. We also have a Chinese 4-jaw at work that we purchased about 6 or so years ago and I use it a lot with no complaints.

Having said all that, I did recently pick up a new Bison 6-jaw that will be going on my 1340GT lathe and probably residing the majority of the time on the lathe.

Mike.

Back