Somewhat OT: Amazon (and Other) Deliveries (again/still)

I have been thinking about building a delivery box, there is one that is designed to discourage the porch pirates, when it is opened a platform folds up to set the package on and when it is closed the platform drops the package into the bottom to be removed through a locked door on the front....

Can you imagine the delivery drivers trying to read the different instructions for every single house and then trying to figure that out?

I had an Amazon delivery today, in fact. They took a picture of it, which was included in my delivery email, so I knew where it was. I walked outside and picked it up. I would say it wasn't very hard.
The drivers are supposed to read the instructions that are on the same device that scans each package, is used to take the photo and gives them directions (GPS): no additional effort is required.

A picture showing me that I won’t be able to get out of my front door isn’t much good, but at least I can get to the front door though my garage.

I have been thinking about building a delivery box, there is one that is designed to discourage the porch pirates, when it is opened a platform folds up to set the package on and when it is closed the platform drops the package into the bottom to be removed through a locked door on the front....
If you do, please update us when they leave the packages on top of or in front of or next to the box

semi retired but i ship most days ups. in the country. i have a man gate by the entrance with an enclosure and a sign says leave all shipments here
ups no problem fed ex wont open the gate to leave in the enclosure, usps ok now :) ,amazon about 2/3 ok the others can be Anywhere

I am just excited when my package arrives within 3 days of what the tracking predicted and the part in the box is what I ordered. I remember when my brother ordered Jeep parts from J..C. Whitney in the 70's. Mailed a check, Whitney waited till the check cleared, sent the part US mail. Took 6 weeks.

I have a steel drop box like that. It's outstanding, when it's noticed, identified, the thought gully processed, and finally used by the couriers. The other 25% of the time, it's on my porch, sometimes sorta hidden, sometimes visible. I live in an old part of an old town, where all of a sudden people are living in tents on the streets, there are probably 300 people living like that within the surrounding blocks that come over on the ferry from Seattle for a change of scenery. Believe you me, that secure mailbox has been money well spent.

At my former office I go get a metal box, like a generic black Fedex package drop off. I removed the seesaw door because I wanted it for client drop off and pickup, but one of these anchored to a concrete porch would be very secure from the pirates(if drivers used them.) cost about $325.

My front door entry is in a nook, like the OP's, coming in from the side of the house. I've shared my preference with Amazon and UPS, to have packages left on the nook edge closest to the street, so packages will be less visible to passersbys. I don't know if any of the drivers ever read these instructions, because packages are left all over the place. My postman, on the other hand, is a regular, and he gets it; packages always placed where they are not visible from the street. Score one for USPS!

About half the time, FedEx stops on the road in front of my house and tosses/drops/rolls my packages out on the side of the road, then drives off. I have about 300 feet of road frontage... I've found our packages at any part of that 300 feet, as well as across the road under my mailbox.

That's easier for them than navigating my straight cement driveway...

-Bear

“Your Amazon Order is Out For Delivery:”

IMG_5836_Radiant_Photo.jpeg

Are bets on whether they get it in the crate or not?

Back