Somewhat OT: Amazon (and Other) Deliveries (again/still)

This problem is so easy to solve I can't believe nobody has suggested it.....
Stop buying online and having it shipped.

@ChazzC
I understand that you don't want packages left in front of the storm door.
However, I don't understand WHY it's such a problem for you.
It seems easy enough just to open the storm door, brushing any light package aside.
I the real problem that some packages are too heavy to "brush aside"?
I don't want to guess at or define the "why". Would you please elucidate?
Can't answer for ChazzC, but I have had a 70lb package set in front of my storm door. Most storm doors aren't designed by us HM guys, so they are not designed to push heavy boxes aside, they have large sections with glass, they are on the flimsy side for pushing boxes by their bottom edges.

The question is more why this is being done. Apparently common sense is no longer present these days. One shouldn't block an entrance with a delivery. I get it that it's a long day and not easy for delivery people, but it makes it hard on the recipients to have to use a separate door or exit to access the package, when a slight repositioning would have avoided the problem entirely. Dunno, just asking for some consideration from the common carriers. Might be a first world problem, or simply the demise of courtesy here.

Can't say this happens all the time at my location, but it's a pain in the neck when it does. I sympathize with ChazzC, because it is frustrating. I've had knucklehead deliveries from Amazon deposited at random locations on my property, at my garage door, my back door, my side door, and a door that clearly hasn't been used in ages. I don't know about you, but I don't like strangers wandering the grounds in the more private areas. I've had overnight deliveries for medical supplies that aren't mine, as well as for food. It's weird, you'd think that they'd have better maps. The medical delivery guy came a second time and I approached him and told him that he had the wrong house. I sure don't want to be responsible for delivering someone else's medicine, it was sheer luck I knew who it was for and where they lived.

Complaining isn't going to make much difference, at least for Amazon drivers. Even out in the country we don't always get the same driver(s). Just the other day my wife was outside with our puppy when Amazon showed up. The Amazon driver is a dog person so they chatted for a second about the puppy. Turns out it was her first time delivering to our house. We usually get the same USPS, FedEx and UPS drivers, but I've lost track of how many Amazon drivers we've had. Heck, we've had two or three different Amazon deliveries in the same day, all different drivers.

Complaining isn't going to make much difference, at least for Amazon drivers. Even out in the country we don't always get the same driver(s). Just the other day my wife was outside with our puppy when Amazon showed up. The Amazon driver is a dog person so they chatted for a second about the puppy. Turns out it was her first time delivering to our house. We usually get the same USPS, FedEx and UPS drivers, but I've lost track of how many Amazon drivers we've had. Heck, we've had two or three different Amazon deliveries in the same day, all different drivers.
I agree about complaints to Amazon. Best I can do is post a simple sign and walkabout the area if I'm expecting something. The first time it happened though, the package was outside in the rain for a day. With Amazon I was getting neighbors packages on our side door, so I had to clearly post our house address on our side door. We live on the corner of two streets, guess the drivers get confused... Once I posted the sign, the situation did get better.

so here's my opinion, you didn't ask, but I'm giving it. :einstein:

you have too many things on that sign. Just put
Place packages here with an arrow down.
edit: Packages with an arrow. even the place was too much.
No one in their right mind is going to read all of that. These guys are busy..
I kind of think a sign would be more effective placed on the screen door itself with "packages" and an arrow to the side or "do not place packages in front of door".

Hard to say you didn't see the sign if you have to drop the package directly in front of it.....

I don't do The FaceBook (other than occasional perusals of MarketPlace): too many xxxxs (no politically correct description available), and several friends and family members have had their accounts hacked.

Looking on the bright side, I may get a lot of stuff for free if I insist on compensation.

I’ve received 2 out of 5 cases of sardines that were damaged in shipping and those two I was told to throw out and they would send a replacement.

I identified the busted can and washed the rest off and kept them.

I think I have over 5 cases stockpiled at the moment.

I also bought a 4” milling vise from vevor that was not only a pos, but it was shipped in a cardboard box with only 1/2” foam surrounding it. The foam was obliterated and the vise was damaged somewhat so I contacted them and complained and was offered 1/3 refund. I then insisted on a replacement and their answer was to offer another 1/3 off.

At that point seeing where this was going I just accepted the offer and took the crappy vise for a grand total of $20.

Right now I’m getting a shipment of lawn chemicals that is being replaced as the first shipment was damaged and leaking.

Fed-X won’t have no crabgrass on that truck!

My guess is that packages are left in front of the door because they are almost impossible to miss. FedEx brings my prescription drugs and jsually places them in front of the door. On rare occasion, they might put them between the two doors. Both our kitchen door, which is used as the primary entrance, and the main entrance door off the dining room exit on to covered porches and there is a bench a few feet from the door on each. Heavy packages are sometimes left on the edge of the porch rather than carrying them up the steps and that's OK with us.

We live in a remote enough location that we don't have to worry about porch pirates. Being retired, we are around most of the time and when we are gone, there is no fixed routine. Add to that, our dog will start to bark whenever anyone enters the yard , stops or even slows down in front of the house, or sets foot on the porch so we know when a package has been delivered or the mail has come.

We are also on first name basis we some of the regular deliver people and always make an effort to call out and thank them for a delivery. If I happen to see them pull up, I walk out to receive the delivery, saving them the walk.This helps to build relationships and it is hard to provide poor service when you have a relationship.

More than fifty years ago, my ex father-in-law had a wooden box on his front porch for the nearly daily deliveries he would get for his work as a traveling salesman. It worked out well for him. With porch pirates in profusion nowadays, a metal version of this,preferrably fastened to the deck or the wall will do the job. Most thieves aren't going to open a box "on spec". For extreme cases, a mechanism which would self lock once a package had been placed inside, perhaps with a chute similar to roadside mail dropboxes would work.

I don't do The FaceBook (other than occasional perusals of MarketPlace): too many xxxxs (no politically correct description available), and several friends and family members have had their accounts hacked.

Looking on the bright side, I may get a lot of stuff for free if I insist on compensation.
My buddy did the same thing you did and then using red tape, put a square with an X in it....

Just saw an Amazon commercial and they show every driver going up to the house and setting the package dead center of every door.

Can you imagine the delivery drivers trying to read the different instructions for every single house and then trying to figure that out?

I had an Amazon delivery today, in fact. They took a picture of it, which was included in my delivery email, so I knew where it was. I walked outside and picked it up. I would say it wasn't very hard.

Back