Shop re-do

Here’s the final frontier.
This wall of shelving, 8’ long x 2’ deep has to be emptied and removed so I can finish the electrical and sheet with plywood.
The pile of stuff is various small wood stock on the top left, on the left side, top right is all parts for my NT650 project, at the left under the top shelf is all YZ125 parts, next to that is various flotsam and jetsam,more flotsam with power tools on the lower right. Bins on the bottom hold electrical supplies and plumbing bit. Inside the box marked electrical is a huge box of drywall screws left by the P.O. :bang head:
32f2079a8661f7f4ceb247fa4c50030d.jpg

For context, this is where the shelves are relative to the wall I built to keep the motos at bay!
784e6d7730c7e11555587ff811021fcf.jpg

My plan is to run a new shelf (or maybe cabinets) along this long wall, turn the corner and onto the new dividing wall that I built. Thinking putting the shelf about 12 or 16 inches down from the roof joists.

Depending whether I go with 12” or 16” would allow me to stack either two or three layers of these boxes which are 5” tall, 12” deep and 7.5” wide. That would give me 18 linear feet of shelving.

057ff9d27b5eb76141a37a449336cc95.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I like those shoeboxes too — great for different assortments of parts that you may not have a ton of but still want some organization. I built a whole bookcase full of them when I moved our maintenance shop at work into a new building. Simple tape and felt pen labels are easy yet descriptive.

One thing I’m really getting tired of though is wood shelving. Dark, heavy, and ultimately will sag unless you put dividers in which will always be in the way of something. In the same general move of our maintenance shop I procured six of those chromed wire shelf units from CanTire and again filled one whole side of a room with them for facility and operations supplies. Bright, lightweight, easily and randomly adjustable shelves that can hold a surprising amount of weight. And they fit shoebox size! Price is cheap, and they’re dead fast to set up with no permanent commitment to their positioning. Might sound cheesy but they are surprisingly useful and economical. Just don’t get too hung up on critiquing the MIG joints ;), all the legs have screw adjusters though anyways.

-frank

I like those shoeboxes too — great for different assortments of parts that you may not have a ton of but still want some organization. I built a whole bookcase full of them when I moved our maintenance shop at work into a new building. Simple tape and felt pen labels are easy yet descriptive.

One thing I’m really getting tired of though is wood shelving. Dark, heavy, and ultimately will sag unless you put dividers in which will always be in the way of something. In the same general move of our maintenance shop I procured six of those chromed wire shelf units from CanTire and again filled one whole side of a room with them for facility and operations supplies. Bright, lightweight, easily and randomly adjustable shelves that can hold a surprising amount of weight. And they fit shoebox size! Price is cheap, and they’re dead fast to set up with no permanent commitment to their positioning. Might sound cheesy but they are surprisingly useful and economical. Just don’t get too hung up on critiquing the MIG joints ;), all the legs have screw adjusters though anyways.

-frank

Thanks Frank, the other thing about the shoeboxes is that they are a dollar at the dollar store. :)

I also dislike wood shelving. Especially when it’s designed to hold huge storage bins that no one can muscle into the shelves.

We need to put some shelving in our basement. I’ll check out the Canadian Tire units.

-frank

A buddy and I attend a lot of these auctions, mostly I buy to resell but I buy items for myself too. Just have to be careful as the storage unit is full.

One of the things he picked up was a bunch of those wire racks on wheels. Did the same thing you did and got rid of the fixed shelving. Nice part is that if you have to get something big through an area, they can be rolled out of the way pretty easily. There are several advantages to them, one they allow light through each layer depending on what is on the upper shelves. Two, the wire racks don't collect a lot of dust like solid shelves do. Three, they are easily reconfigured for those unforeseen items that we may buy that don't fit on the fixed shelves.

Another buddy bought a bunch of those pallet shelves only these are smaller for boxes and not full size pallets. Man they can hold a lot of weight. Went with the wire shelves too. Another auction treasure.

These industrial/commercial auctions happen all across the country. You can get some great deals. But they can be dangerous too. Especially the bid online only ones. Too easy to get caught up in the moment. I have seen some items that by the time people stopped bidding they were paying more than if they went and bought it brand new. The in person auctions are the best as people generally go for specific items and you can end up with some extra items depending on the auctioneer.

Here’s today’s, before noon progress.
Emptied the shelves. The floor is now impassable :(
6439726ecdc016441ce7835354192fd8.jpg

8285777fa89173c1d60903f6654a561c.jpg

Dismantled the shelves. Recovered approximately 100 1.5” deck screws in the process.
6a45a46649cff020fdbd6526124b268b.jpg

98fe82ec44c589ca9cc75c134c1675ba.jpg

Pulled down the old, nasty Saran Wrap grade plastic and put up proper 6 mil poly. Need to run a few outlets still.
Should have it all done by this time tomorrow.
fe0bc02a9cf1cfe510a8a000778118c9.jpg

d64114d50e75446ec22a1833286e3e04.jpg

Bit of a long day but the end result is worth it.
I wired in four 120v outlets and a 40A 240v plug for the welder.
24e27079cf4d6273e3f12565acc386e5.jpg

a98b4d35f27650f773e1ebeb4a02f92e.jpg

a419f24f1f6c14f2e88c3e5c22907b24.jpg

9f41ab3311a1fca7616362a793e357a3.jpg

I have only to fill in the space above the panel and it’s all sheeted in.
A bit of paint and it will be all ready to go.
Woohoo!

Last edited:
Isn't it ironic how much woodworking you need to do in order to enjoy your metalworking hobby?

;)

Craig

Indeed.
I’m really glad this stage is done.

Indeed.
I’m really glad this stage is done.

Working through the basics is always time consuming and often frustrating. But it is this preparatory work that sets the stage for how well the operation of everything that follows is. Once you have completed the walls (electrical, wood, paint and air), then you can get into the fun part which is setting all the equipment and of course the final, which is where you get to use. it.

I find it ironic that I often will find the planning, development and implementation of a shop design or redesign as much fun as the actual use of it on completion. Sometimes more, which is probably why I find that I never seem to be done with it.

Working through the basics is always time consuming and often frustrating. But it is this preparatory work that sets the stage for how well the operation of everything that follows is. Once you have completed the walls (electrical, wood, paint and air), then you can get into the fun part which is setting all the equipment and of course the final, which is where you get to use. it.

I find it ironic that I often will find the planning, development and implementation of a shop design or redesign as much fun as the actual use of it on completion. Sometimes more, which is probably why I find that I never seem to be done with it.

As much work as this has been I have actually enjoyed it.
I lived with utter chaos for four years, dealing with someone else’s left-behinds and trying to shoehorn my stuff into any remaining space.

I’m pleasantly surprised at how much space I actually have. Now I just have to clean up from this latest escapade.

Back