Shop re-do

Spent a bit of time at the end of the day hanging the new shelving.
Recycled some of the 5/8” plywood from the free standing shelves.
Secured to a 2x2 cleat screwed into the studs and supported by 3/4” metal strapping screwed to the roof joists.

Can barely see one strap near the left end of the shelf. I added a strap at a each hoist. Supports my COVID - weight :)
8d5140b9c0c98868a4c78ec3540323ca.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You might want to consider adding a 1x2 glued and screwed under the front edge. The shelf will bow between the straps if you don't.

You might want to consider adding a 1x2 glued and screwed under the front edge. The shelf will bow between the straps if you don't.

Good idea. I have oodles of lumber from dismantling the shelves.

Last edited:
See, look at all that room. To think that you were initially limiting the kind of machine to get to fit your space. All you had to do was totally rebuild your space and voila, you can fit all kinds of stuff in there. A machinist will always find a way.

See, look at all that room. To think that you were initially limiting the kind of machine to get to fit your space. All you had to do was totally rebuild your space and voila, you can fit all kinds of stuff in there. A machinist will always find a way.

Know where I can get a Bridgeport? :p

Wow. Starting to look like you might soon be able to use your shop.

Wow. Starting to look like you might soon be able to use your shop.

Thanks!
It’s feeling really good.
I need to add support to the shelving as per your suggestion.
I also need to drill some anchors into the floor to bolt down my bender. And make a mount for the ring roller.

And I’m going to start my welding cart project soon so that I can get my TIG off the dolly.
Then I’m starting my motorcycle project :D

Dave,
Your shop is looking great. Funny how we start off with the idea of making things more organized to free up space and end up with it all filled from the items we had stacked up before. But at least it is very accessible and well organized. When I had my shop in the garage of our old house, I had so much stacked every where that too often it took twice as long to set up and put it away as it did to do the project itself. I found myself not doing a lot of projects just because it was too much of a hassle.
The way you have set up your shop, organized and separated by function is a great way to reduce that.

Back