Shop re-do

Oh, most likely $30k or so is what you would need to give. LOL. :laughing:
I'm actually considering and napkin planning a 10'x9' extension to one of the bays so that I can put the motos in there and I can reclaim that 90 sq ft back. Maybe one day.

When we moved into our new maintenance shop a few years ago I sprung for the lumber storage racks from Lee Valley. They cost a bit but they do work well and can hold a lot of material. And, adjustable.

Attachments

• 6E177F62-9A30-401C-9AD8-8A247D3F235B.png
    6E177F62-9A30-401C-9AD8-8A247D3F235B.png
    3.9 MB · Views: 24
When we moved into our new maintenance shop a few years ago I sprung for the lumber storage racks from Lee Valley. They cost a bit but they do work well and can hold a lot of material. And, adjustable.

In retrospect I think that system would have served me better than what I did.

I'm a terrible wood hoarder! I've got planks saved for that perfect project that I've had for 40 years. Running out of time.

I'm a terrible wood hoarder! I've got planks saved for that perfect project that I've had for 40 years. Running out of time.
Scraps are the bane of my existence. I'm starting to keep a bin in the box of my truck so that I can get it out of my space.

In retrospect I think that system would have served me better than what I did.
If you zoom in Dave on my rack system, I have two design elements incorporated into it.
1.) The horizontal members that actually support the wood are angled up just slightly (10 degrees, if even) and they are also removable to allow placement along the vertical members.
2.) The vertical members are close enough together to prevent, or at least limit, the chance the wood will sag, and they are close enough together (16" spacing) to allow for short pieces to be placed on the horizontal members.

If you zoom in Dave on my rack system, I have two design elements incorporated into it.
1.) The horizontal members that actually support the wood are angled up just slightly (10 degrees, if even) and they are also removable to allow placement along the vertical members.
2.) The vertical members are close enough together to prevent, or at least limit, the chance the wood will sag, and they are close enough together (16" spacing) to allow for short pieces to be placed on the horizontal members.
Thanks 7, did you just make that out of construction lumber?

Thanks 7, did you just make that out of construction lumber?
Yes, if I remember correctly. LOL.
I used plywood for the sides and 2x4 blocking in between. I think that I glued and air nailed the blocks to the plywood sides. I really don't think that they needed to be angled up either, especially if the horizontal pieces are tight. I angled them thinking that they might droop under load, but I haven't really noticed that happening. I hope that makes sense....

Yes, if I remember correctly. LOL.
I used plywood for the sides and 2x4 blocking in between. I think that I glued and air nailed the blocks to the plywood sides. I really don't think that they needed to be angled up either, especially if the horizontal pieces are tight. I angled them thinking that they might droop under load, but I haven't really noticed that happening. I hope that makes sense....
Makes perfect sense!

Back