Shop re-do

I had a solid oak cabinet that came out of Shells lab in the SFO Bay Area. The drawers ran so smooth with heavy tool loads you would think it had modern ball bearings. It was from the 30's. Had to give them up when we left CA.
Your cabinets remind me of them except the double the number of drawers but the same size cabinets.
Nice work.

Thanks!
I cannot claim any good work here though as the cabinet came from a local hospital as part of a renovation. It’s probably 40 or 50 years old.
I had to glue all the drawers back together as they were never intended to hold 60 lbs of drills and taps, hardware etc.
When I build the new cabinet I’ll make the drawers from 3/4” Baltic Birch ply.
I lucked into a dozen pairs of brand new 22”, 100lb capacity full extension slides that I’ll use for the new drawers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Today’s final accomplishment was framing in the wall separating the shop from the bikes.
A bit of creative framing and it’s rock solid. Electric is roughed in.
Tomorrow we sheet!
(Pics tomorrow I promise!)

And the wall is sheeted!
Next up is build the door frame and hang the door.
Originally I thought I’d put in a pocket door. I thought about the framing for a pocket door and how it would limit what I could hang on the wall. So I’m going with a standard 2-8 door that will open toward the drill press.
9ce8c688cfdcaeacf0f6e025ba267e4d.jpg

04e4d6a62bf19f223e007414d148a4ed.jpg

This is going to be great when you get it done. Nice that you have twin garage doors instead of one large on. Really allows you to make this a perfect multi purpose shop. Some great ideas here that I will have to keep in mind.

This is going to be great when you get it done. Nice that you have twin garage doors instead of one large on. Really allows you to make this a perfect multi purpose shop. Some great ideas here that I will have to keep in mind.

Thanks Charlie, it’s coming together really well.
I love the two doors. It’s a real treat to be able to divide the space.
@mickri provided a lot of ideas when he re-drew my floor plan and separated the wood and metal work tools.

The space is larger than I realized.
Its 13’ 7” from the front wall to the new wall by 18’ 5” wide or around 250 sq ft.
Plus the space in the long side.

Last edited:
I'm in the process of looking for a contractor to build a two stall garage/shop for me. I'm pretty sure the city will allow up to at least a 24 x 32'. I want to be able to do both wood and metal. Don't need to keep a car in but would like to be able to move one in to work on it now & then. I used the Planner on Grizzly's site to move things around. It works reasonably well. My lumber collection is a problem for storage. I'm trying to get 12' ceilings approved. I want to be able to play year round. Want windows that operate and flow through ventilation for nice days. Insulation is a must.

Things I've considered: surface mounted electrical in EMT (easily modified) Epoxy on the concrete floor Easy to clean, good light reflectance. Solar collector to help heat in winter. A combined heat/cool wall unit. An insulated outside enclosure for the compressor and phase converter. (Needs heat, insulation, ventilation etc.) A lean to roof to protect the dust collector and a return air system. I've probably forgotten more.

I'm open to suggestions.

Larry$ I would not waste my time on a solar collector to help with winter heat. Better off to over insulate your shop. Back when I was doing real estate appraisals I studied everything I could about solar heating systems to create a niche for my appraisal business. Everyone was waiting for the results from a large research project by a university in New Mexico. The results of the study were that 90% of the energy savings came from a better built better insulated building with no more than 10% coming from solar heating. Just my two centovos.

And the door is in.
Dopey me assumed this door slab was the same height as the existing passage door. Nope somebody cut an inch off the bottom. At an angle no less.
Nothing that another 3/4” off can’t fix.
Just have to make a new bit to fill in the space.
Oh and cut new pieces to fill in above the door
0cb1017c7adf30fe99868ba9eb74a01c.jpg

Last edited:
Back