Shop re-do

Dave,
Your shop is looking great. Funny how we start off with the idea of making things more organized to free up space and end up with it all filled from the items we had stacked up before. But at least it is very accessible and well organized. When I had my shop in the garage of our old house, I had so much stacked every where that too often it took twice as long to set up and put it away as it did to do the project itself. I found myself not doing a lot of projects just because it was too much of a hassle.
The way you have set up your shop, organized and separated by function is a great way to reduce that.

Thanks,
I can definitely relate to the part about not doing projects because it’s too much hassle.
For me, clutter and disorganization cause me to feel rushed which leads me to do less than ideal work.
I’m very happy with how it’s coming together.
The next big job is sorting out wood storage!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Slogged away this weekend to empty the storage container.
Put up some racking to hold stick lumber.
822b49c9059ea41dd925285c36b34f01.jpg

Sheet goods underneath.
(No pics of that unfortunately.)

This works marks the end of the major work to get the space in shape.
Now onto smaller jobs!
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Storing wood sucks. Actually, storing any sort of stock, metal or wood, is a real pain in my book. I used to keep all sorts of little wood cutoffs but now I just chuck them in the wood stove. I will post a picture of my sheet good storage. I think it is rather ingenious, if I do say so myself.

The first picture is in my new shop. A method of storing straight stock without having it all piled on top each other.
The second picture is my sheet good storage. It is on two large hinges fastened into the wall studs, and one fixed wheel underneath that allows it to swing out and away from the wall. I think mine is about 10 inches wide and just over 8ft tall internally.

Attachments

• 20191020_183824.jpg
    20191020_183824.jpg
    993.8 KB · Views: 50
  • DSC_0199.JPG
    DSC_0199.JPG
    960.6 KB · Views: 50
Nice space @7milesup!
Excellent storage solution :)
How big is your space?

Storing wood sucks. Actually, storing any sort of stock, metal or wood, is a real pain in my book. I used to keep all sorts of little wood cutoffs but now I just chuck them in the wood stove.
My garage/shop in Oregon had a nice woodstove - nasty cold to toasty warm in less than an hour. Since moving to Arizona, I've had no need for one ... and it pains me every time I have wood scraps, with no choice but to pitch them. Ah, well ...

Back