Sheldon 12 Inch Shaper I wasn't looking for, but found!!

Hey Everybody!

I uploaded two terrible videos for now hah hah
This is not a sample of the quality of video I will be shooting soon, but here are two short, terribly shot, handheld phone videos of the first cut with the Sheldon Shaper!

I did not expect to get to cutting today, but was fortunate to have a few minutes to steal away to the shop and at least wire this thing up. Then I got to throw a block of steel in there yessss

The shop is a bit of a wreck, trying to get this giant machine in here, so I grabbed a 1/2in bit from my grinder table, which means it wasn't finished and honed yet, but good enough for removing scale and test cuts hah hah. The finish changed quite a bit with some Tap Magic Gold poured on there.

There is still a lot of lubing to do in the drivetrain which should quiet it down a bit, and I am hoping a few weeks of running the machine will soften the belt and work out the thunk-thunk-thunk... It is getting quieter already.

Next I'm going to try some BiG cuts!!

Bernie

http://youtu.be/oNl92DP3a4s

http://youtu.be/rv9YAv-mgLI

Bernie,

Finally found your posts; I had been looking in the wrong place!

The new shaper looks great; what a find! Glad you got it home ok. I'd be happy to give you a hand next time you're making a machine move; just let me know. (Insert obligatory but patently false claim that you won't be buying any more machinery any time soon here.)

I never saw the attraction of shapers until I saw your current one working at your shop. It's completely mesmerizing! I could just watch it for hours...

Best of luck with it!

Charlie

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just to be clear- I only "stole" the time to shoot the videos from my busy day- I did not steal them from anyone else, hah hah.

My next project is to try to get this thing off of the pallet in my small space... Hmmm...

Bernie

Today was more cleaning and getting this darn thing off of the pallet. I'm getting pretty good at handling these heavy machines safely and without working so hard hah hah

I used this little bottle jack to slide it straight off of the pallet. I kept adding blocks in between the bottle jack and the pallet jack and pumping again:

u2ydyhaz.jpg

With 5 inches left before the shaper was off the pallet, I lifted 1/2 inch and put blocks under the runners of the shaper, and let the shaper rest on the blocks to take the weight instead of the pallet, and slid the pallet away.

Then I took a scissor jack (name?) and lowered the front of the machine down to the ground. Finally home!

usy3urum.jpg

Bernie

Bernie,
Nice videos, I love seeing those things cut, the slo mo was great. Just a tip, if you rotate the clapper to the left a bit, the tool will rotate away from the cut on the backstroke. That's why the rotation is there to begin. Probably wouldn't make much difference on that cut, but there are times when it will.

CJ

I hope Im not the only one who made sound effects when the chips took off on the super slo mo!

Jake Parker

What a cool machine, and that flaking!

I wonder if you could make a motorized lapper with the shaper, have the lap rotate on a subspindle and move with the ram. Sorta like a blanchard grinder, but lapping not grinding.

Back