Sheldon 12 Inch Shaper I wasn't looking for, but found!!

itsme_Bernie

Active User
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Well Guys,

I promise I WASN'T looking for a shaper. I already LOVE my Ammco 7 inch Shaper! I was looking for Sheldon Mill parts for a project machine I picked up. Well, on my local Craigslist, a wonderful-original-condition Sheldon 12 Inch Shaper popped up only 1/2 hour away from me. I gazed at it, and flipped to the next listing.

Well, it was already working in my subconscious. I have already been so happy with my Ammco Shaper I purchased last year! I'm not looking for another machine! So, of course, I went back to the listing, and wrote them hah hah hah... And today I end up driving to go LOOK at it. (Oops)

Well, looks like I now have my Ammco Shaper for sale, because I bought the Sheldon! Thank goodness for my incredibly understanding girl who is fine with my fronting cash for one machine while selling the other things to pay for it 8))))

This Sheldon shaper has all the original "frosting" on all the ways, and besides a lumpy belt thumping it runs smoothly and quietly! The thump is from sitting unused for 15 years, there is a single lumpy spot from the part of the wide-Reeves-belt sitting in the V pulley - the second pulley is flat.
It even has the original vice.

One big difference- the Ammco Shaper weighs about 225 lbs, maybe 300 lbs with the stand, TOPS. This Sheldon Shaper weighs in at 1500 lbs!

When I move this, it's going to be the heaviest single object I've had to move in one piece. It is not quite as top heavy as other machines I've moved at 900 and 1100 lbs, and has a pretty wide base (27 x 44 inches). But I am surely building up a plan to get it safely in place.

I bought it from a group of New Jersey Live Steamers I didn't even know existed. Looks like I'm going to join up!
They are giving some a few weeks to make arrangements (and space! Hah hah).

Yes, here are some pics :)

Bernie

Original frosting!

8ejy7y5y.jpg

In it's current home (now "previous" owner), the NJ Live Steamers:

a4etujus.jpg

Original Lamp? :

e3ure2yv.jpg

aguhejup.jpg

ybejurab.jpg

And a handful of shaper tools!

asy9yqu7.jpg

Last edited:
Wow, I tried to upload to the site server- I will try again...

Bernie

Ok- I edited the original post with the same pics-

It has a backgear which I can't imagine needing, as it goes down so slow with the variable speed anyway.

Bernie

Anyone have any affordable sources for this really wide Reeves-pulley belt? It's almost 2-1/2 inches wide and 3/8inch thick..

Bernie

Looks very good - unusual to see one with its original paint and scraping in good condition!
Michael

Nice score. You know, owning more than one shaper is not a crime...

Nice score. You know, owning more than one shaper is not a crime...

Hah hah CJ!

It is a bit if a crime when you can't officially afford the new one without selling the old one! Hah hah!

I have to make room for it too!

Bernie

Back