Sheldon 12 Inch Shaper I wasn't looking for, but found!!

Does anyone know of affordable sources for the really wide V belt for this Reeves drive? It is around 2 inches wide, "V" tapered on the sides, and about 3/8 inch thick?

Or advice on how to work the lump out of this thing? Heat? My experience is that these lumps -never reeeeally- leave the belt just by running it...
..... THUMP..... THUMP..... THUMP..... THUMP..... Hah hah

Thanks guys!

Bernie

Last edited:
Very cool Bernie.

That thing looks mint!

You and I have a lot alike.

Hard to pass up deals on this wonderful old iron.

- - - Updated - - -

Does anyone know of affordable sources for the really wide V belt for this Reeves drive? It is around 2 inches wide, "V" tapered on the sides, and about 3/8 inch thick?

Or advice on how to work the lump out of this thing? Heat? My experience is that these lumps -never reeeeally- leave the belt just by running it...
..... THUMP..... THUMP..... THUMP..... THUMP..... Hah hah

Thanks guys!

Bernie

Here's a place which sells these belts and the pricing isn't too awfully terrible.

http://www.vbeltsupply.com/ecommerce/variable-speed-belts/variable-speed?limit=100&p=2

Congratulations on the score Bernie! That is a very nice looking machine! Just an FYI, somebody on the "net" had suggested that a Lovejoy
1922V544 was the proper belt. I found one, bought it, and was very disappointed. It just isn't wide enough to work properly. You definately need at least 2" wide for the sheave system to work properly. I was wandering though the scrapyard one day, and found a belt that is about 1.5 inches wide, and it too is really too narrow to work.
I don't believe that the belt is spec'ed in the manual, but I will look tomorrow to verify.
Good luck with your Sheldon, it's a very nice piece.
Bob

Nice find Bernie!! I guy needs to get lucky and have a great find once in a while.

Sorry, no interest here in the smaller shaper, you are just too far away.

And, since no one else has said it as yet here is your YS award: :yousuck3:

(In good fun, of course!)

Quick update here- I finally picked it up!

For the heaviest machine I have ever moved in one piece (1600 pounds) it went more quickly than most :)

I was lucky that the machine was already mounted on two 2x4's on the edges, leaving 1-1/2 inches in the front to get to work prying it up 1/2inch at a time, until I could get some really heavy (1/2 inch thick) angle irons just in front of the pivot point.
At this point I could start to shove the pallet under the front. Pallets and pallet jack are the BEST way to move machines, hands down.

Next I hooked a boat wench to the pallet jack, and the other end to an engine lift strap around the machine and simply dragged it up onto the pallet:

e8apy8em.jpg

Moments later, successfully placed on the customized pallet I made this morning.
This is the machine shop at the New Jersey Live Steamers, where I purchased the shaper. It was purchased from the navy 30 years ago, and stored here unused until they sold it to me: 8)

e6e9ynap.jpg

Once done, I just wheeled it around the room to the big garage door waiting with the 5x9 for uhaul trailer I also always rent for this kind if thing. While on the pallet and jack, I used the same hand-crank boat wench to drag the whole machine up the ramp, and onto the trailer. Piece of cake!

And here it is making the narrow straight, with just inches to spare, into my little garage-entry-shop.

y4ahygag.jpg

I will show pics of it in it's new home in the next day or so!

Bernie

Glad it went well for you bro. We are lookin foward for more pictures!

Jake Parker

To me those tool holders are almost as desirable as the Sheldon !

Very nice score....enjoy!

Bernard

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back