Sheldon 12 Inch Shaper I wasn't looking for, but found!!

Bernie, nice vidios, the question? somewhere you said its a Cannon S 100. I got a Cannon S110, will that thing make vidios?

sam

Great videos, Bernie! The slow-mo is fantastic! I love watching these things work...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bernie, nice vidios, the question? somewhere you said its a Cannon S 100. I got a Cannon S110, will that thing make vidios?

sam

Darn right Sam!

Yours is almost the same camera as mine. On the back here is one little red button on the right side. That is a dedicated video shooting button. You can also do slow motion! You just have to go to your "Func Set" button (right in the middle of the circle in the back) and change the video setting from "1280HD" to the little pic of a guy running.

Cool Sam- write me anytime with questions!

Bernie

Great videos, Bernie! The slow-mo is fantastic! I love watching these things work...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks Charlie!

More to come as I figure this thing out hah hah!

Bernie

Tonight's project- testing the capacity of the shaper by cutting the scale off of a 16 inch long steel bar I had sitting here.

Hey CJ- I listen to people's advice, see? Hah hah ... Big difference in the clapper movement-

yqadazyr.jpg

Bernie

UPDATE:

I am happily surprised to report that this purportedly 12 inch Shaper seems to have a 13 x 17 inch total capacity, giving a more usable 12-1/2 inch by 16 or so effective capacity in cutting area...

I was sure it would have been more like 12x12 or so! As you can see by the way I have the piece held in the vise, accuracy was NOT tonight's test, hah hah. I will do the other side tomorrow and see how much thicker the ends are with the deflection that must have occurred.

I don't think the Lufkin ruler was very visible in the first shot, so I used a bright yellow tape measure in this shot:

asumezam.jpg

Bernie

Last edited:
I think we need more videos.:))

FYI - The guy here selling the shaper still has it listed. He won't sell it until he sell a horiz mill (can't get the shaper out until the mill is gone). He has a lot of guys asking about it. Told him I'd send him a $250 check (his asking price) and would pay him another $200 when I picked it up. And that I wasn't in a hurry. Still waiting for reply.:panic:

The sizes that shapers were rated at was a bit arbitrary. The actual stroke was usually about an inch or so longer than the shaper was sized, and the cross slide capacity seems to have no relationship to the stated shaper size. I think it was just a convenient measure to classify different general sizes of shapers. I have 4, and all but one of them stroke about an inch longer, and the tables are length wise about what the rating was. The one exception is a Lewis, which was sold as a casting kit. It's was advertised as a 10" shaper, but strokes only 9 3/4", and is built about as heavy as a 7" Atlas, just much taller.

Well, it's time for another installment...

This is more of a test of a new microphone and putting my nice camera in the shop hah hah...

If you are interested, as you watch you can hear that i start the video with the camera microphone. It is "stereo", but not great for some things. I at around 15 seconds I switched to the boom mic, and then clap my hands for sound-sync later. The boom Mic is only one channel, not stereo. So if you don't hear sound, it is your speakers! Hah hah. I didn't remember to make it "mono". I then pass in front of the camera around 1:45 and take some sound from the ratchet wheel on the table feed.
Near the end I took some sound from the slight "clack" in my bull gear. Apparently, according to the manual, this is "adjustable for wear", but cannot find instructions on how!
At the very end it went back to the camera sound again.

I needed a new boom mic for a job next week, which isolates the sound from very specific direction- that's why it is use on movie sets etc. you may have seen one peek into a frame of a cheesy movie you have seen! Hah hah.

http://youtu.be/xJJ1WpkbhWY

Some if the next videos should be more of a tour of the machine, and other features like the backgear and heavier cuts.

Enjoy!

Bernie

Last edited:
Nice job Bern, by the way I tried what you said with my S110, but it will only do about 10 sec and shuts down. Gotta read the book again.
sam

Back