SB Rehab/Restoration

This afternoon work schedule was short due to mosquitos,boy are they bad but I hope that I applied the last coat of primer on these parts.I do have the bed done but have yet to start on the carriage nor the QCGB.Saving these till last cause what I have now is taking up the whole shop.Due to the weather forcast its going to be bad for the next 7 days.So I may be taking a break till then,anyway here couple of pics and thanks for looking---kroll

DSC02180.JPG DSC02181.JPG

I don't envy you, having done this dance more than a few times! I admit I enjoy doing it, but my wife and family maybe not so much, as I tend to disappear for days. I just finished one, so my recollections are fresh.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 3

I'm starting to feel the pain and lots of hrs,not near the 100 hr mark yet.I'm still gun hole and its looking pretty good so far,but then again I'm only in the primer stages right now.Keep looking for the white flag----kroll

I'm starting to feel the pain and lots of hrs,not near the 100 hr mark yet.I'm still gun hole and its looking pretty good so far,but then again I'm only in the primer stages right now.Keep looking for the white flag----kroll

Nah, I don't see you waving a white flag. It's coming nicely. The good thing is that you'll take what you learn and do an even better job when you get your own. Every machine seems to have little secrets that you learn along the way. But your work looks pretty top-notch already.

Last edited:
Afternoon guys,its been awhile but today was a fantastic day for painting the cabinet and afew parts so I loaded them in my outdoor paint booth.As you can see in the pics I have the cabinet upside down and I hope that I was able to do a good painting job but I really won't know till I get it right side up.Why upside down you ask,good question as most knows that the motor mounting parts plus the motor I think weights more than the rest of the lathe.Those parts are a beast,so I am going to try and put all that togeather and set it in place bolt it down.I don't know what size the motor is(maybe 1hp) but it has the size of a 5hp and maybe weights more,so I will set it in place and bolt it down to the motor mounting plate.Hope the milk crates hold up to the weight,but I am going to use the hoist to lift it up then seat it down on something soft so it won't scratch and see if I can lay it over on the back side then hopefully set it upright.(Wishful thinking)Once upright then I may need to apply a good second coat.I do have the rolled edge of the chip pan tape off cause the owner want the top side of the chip pan to be blue as the doors and drawers.Anyway thanks guys and please critque this so that all can learn something---kroll

DSC02207.JPG DSC02208.JPG DSC02209.JPG

Morning guys,hope all had a good safe Christmas I did cause my kids and grand kids had a good Merry Christmas.Well I started back on the lathe and wanted to finish up on the motor mount section and get the motor mounted and line up with the pulleys while I have it upside down.Question:The motor pulley(duel)and the pulley(also duel)that drives the flat belt to the spindle is also setup for a flat belt but its about 3/4 wide belt so can I just take a serpentine belt and use it?The pulley on the motor has sides but the bigger pulley for the spindle is just flat.
Now looking at the pics of the motor one of the feet has broken off back I guess some time ago and it has been working so I am going to give it a try to see if it will work for me.More pics to come cause I have afew days off,Yahoooooo.Thanks for any help or suggestions---kroll

DSC02210.JPG DSC02211.JPG

Last edited:
I mounted my motor and the mounting carriage with the stand upside-down also. Let gravity do the work for you:)
The broken motor mount should be okay as long as the other 3 are intact. Not ideal, but I agree that I would try to work with it since it seemed to be fine in the past. Many of us use serpentine belts to the headstock and I see no reason you can't use one from the drive pulley to the motor pulley, as long as the width is comparable.
I actually have to do some belt work today on my 1984 10L that is at my business. I generally use the stitch method of joining my serpentine by using 30lb test fishing line. The line itself never fails but eventually the stitching rips through the belt, generally about every 6 months. But I hate hearing the "click-click" noise from gator clips or from the thickness of skivved belts touching the inside of the headstock. Some people have success with gluing serpentine belts, but I have tried it in every way possible and it never seems to hold up. But then again, I put alot of hours on my 10L cutting T316 stainless. My home machine, the '79 Heavy 10, that I just restored, uses the same belt method but should hold up better since it gets easier use, making aluminum and delrin prototypes. Every belt option for the undermount SB's has some drawbacks, it seems.

Last edited:
Guys I just took a closer look at the pulley that goes on the motor and it looks like it has a taper.At the base of the pulley its 3/8 wide,at the top of the pulley its 5/8 wide which at the base of the pulley its not much for a flat serpentine belt.So if this takes a V-belt how does it stay on the drive pulley(Tks Cuseguy) or what kind of belt goes on it that will work??----kroll

DSC02212.JPG DSC02214.JPG

They take a standard v-belt. Looking at both of mine, they appear to be the same. Unfortunately the writing is worn off both and I can't give you the brand or #. It appears to be 32-36 inches long and is 5/8" width on the fat side of the v. I have also run one of the adjustable link belts on my old 10k that had the same pulleys that you have and that worked really well. Harbor Freight sells one for under $20. Here is the v-belt and few of the left over links from the link belt. 5u7ajegu.jpg

5u7ajegu.jpg

I'm running to NAPA right now to grab the serp belt for my 10L, since mine is now too short to restitch. I'll see if they know a belt # comparable to this v-belt.

Back