SB Rehab/Restoration

Happy Thanksgiving,mine don't start till tonight so in the meantime I thought I would work on the cabinet.Dang its hard getting to the rust,peeling paint on the inside of the cabinet and corners using my wire wheel.Mostly just surface rust but on the tubing where it was in contact with the floor there is some pitting but I guess alittle bondo will handle that.Any tricks on cleaning the inside and keeping rust from coming back till the paint,or rust inhibitor to help block the rust from coming back???Its setting by the garage door cause thats where my little welder is so tomorrow I will work on plugging the holes and do some more grinding w/wire wheel.----kroll
Sorry about the pics being that way,one day I will figure this out

DSC02162.JPG DSC02163.JPG DSC02164.JPG

Guys,since joining here I have ask questions but never provided answers to other questions other than my opinion and not from experience.Its about to change, Kernbigo ask acouple of questions and its nice to give an answer.But first today I plug the holes using 16ga metal then weld it with the mig,I'm no welder but thats why there's bondo.

kernbigo to answer your question I use this product,its powerful so use the vinyl gloves.I pour it in a container then bout 1/4-1/2 water.Most of the time I will mix up afew plastic containers and let the parts soak over night.In most cases it will remove the paint,then I will use a small wire brush to get into the corners and just go over the parts.Lowes and HD carrys it but HD only has it in 2.5gals I buy the 5gals.

Now for yrs and I say about 20 machines later(woodworking) I have this product and it is very good and not to expensive bout 30 gal,but that was up until now.

While I love this paint even over time it will still scratch alittle and I know that over time it gets harder and that is great.
But,since I'm restoring this SB for the owner who also purchase my Atlas/Sears lathe and my 1950's BS which he also wanted them to match the SB's color.So he purchase the paint and I had mention that I like sW's paint so I though he was buying the same paint that I always use but he came with a paint that is awhole lot better.To me it looks as close to epoxy paint without it being epoxy paint,now it does cost more bout 50-60 gal but it is a DTM paint but I like to use primer anyway,it just adds thickness.

Guys I know it cost more but dang after hrs of doing all this work I want the paint to look as good and be as good as can be.Myself I will use up the paint that I have on hand to do maybe inside of metal cabinets and afew other things but that will be all.After its gone,from now own I will use the Sher-kem.
OK heres acouple of pics that I use the new paint on which going by the sheet thin it down 10-20% spraying only has to be above 60*.

Guys thanks for letting me share-----kroll

Great looking work, I'm looking forward to watching your progress. I really appreciate all the photos.

It is a monumental task to pull one all down and clean ,prepare and re-paint.. Got to be terrible ugly before I will do it.. But its a good opportunity to fix bushings. loose shafts ,seals, wicks.

Afternoon guys,today was a good day to work off some of those extra helpings of ham/turkey.Been working on the cabinet preping it for primer over a 3 day span putting the finishing touches all day friday and most of the day today.First I move it into the spray booth(outdoors) then gave it a good rub down with xylene then just let it seat for bout 1hr.This is the first coat of maybe 3,we'll see how it goes after 2 then see if 3rd will be needed.2rd coat won't come till Monday afternoon,have to wait 48hrs till the next coat can be applyed.Dang talk about the first coat showing all the faults and afew runs to go with it.I fudge alittle on the side where the drawers are,I just could not remove all the paint so I remove all that was loose then sand by hand and a block using 80grit.Pics for entertainment,thanks for looking----kroll

Last edited:
Kroll,

Looking good! I certainly relate to all the work you are putting into this refurb. I know the owner will be grateful. Keep the progress pic's coming!

Steve

Kroll that's looking great. I think you'll make the owner proud. Great job!

Afternoon,for me it was a good afternoon cause I was able to get afew things done.Sunday afternoon since the Texans loss again I went out and wire wheeled the chip pan of all the rust and some of the paint then put a coat of primer on it.

Guys removing the chip pan was a pain,welded in several places and couple I could not get to with my die grinder w/cutoff wheel.So on the sides I had to cut the 1/4 banding strip right at the legs so that I could get it off.But as you can see it lined back up perfectly.Weld it up then use the grinder to smooth it out.

Clean up the welds then apply a coat of primer,on Wednesday if the weather is good I plan on putting the final coat (I hope) of primer on the cabinet and miscellaneous parts.We'll see,thanks for looking----kroll

Last edited by a moderator:
Back