Questions about a Sharp Mill

I have a hydraulic trailer rented for the end of this week (two-day rental). If I go that route, what would be the best/safest way to move it off of the trailer and into my shop? The other option is to hire a telehandler and have them offload it, but now we are starting to get into some serious money. The seller has a rigger friend that will lift and load onto my trailer for $350, which I am pretty much committed to since he (nor I) have any other way of loading it.
So, what would be a good method to unload it? I was thinking 3/4" pipe "rollers" under it, but how do I lift it enough to get the pipes under it? I am assuming a large prybar or two may work? I am looking for ideas/suggestions. Thanks!

I watched this vid awhile back. It shows how he loaded his Bridgeport but not how he unloaded it. But I'm sure he just reversed the technique for unloading. Do you have a pallet jack?

we used 1" pipes across the bottom to roll mine on and off the drop trailer and in to my shop. We had 4 pipes but only had two at a time under the mill. We'd roll it just far enough and keep adding another pipe.

Congratulations Neil! That’s one sweet machine, exciting times.

I watched this vid awhile back. It shows how he loaded his Bridgeport but not how he unloaded it. But I'm sure he just reversed the technique for unloading. Do you have a pallet jack?
Yes, I do have a pallet jack. Just looked and it has a 5000lb rating, in fact it is the same one the gentleman has in the video.

EDIT: After watching that video, it seems like this hydraulic trailer coupled with my pallet jack might be just the ticket.

Last edited:
Yes, I do have a pallet jack. Just looked and it has a 5000lb rating, in fact it is the same one the gentleman has in the video.

EDIT: After watching that video, it seems like this hydraulic trailer coupled with my pallet jack might be just the ticket.
go find a heavy duty pallet, or beef up a pallet with 2x4s or 2x6s after removing the top slats off.
Have the rigger put it on the pallet in your trailer. Also it would be good to have help at home. If not, attach a rope to the front end of the trailer cab.. use it to slow the mill down , don't think you are going to slow it down that easily on the ramp... the rope around the bar will offer enough friction to make it easy to control it. as far as getting it off the pallet. cribbing, and lower it a little at a time. Help is your best option too... it allows you to talk it over and see things the other might not see.

When my 9 x 50 was put in place the pallet size was cut down, and the spacing of the wood left the edge of the mill open. I was able to crib the mill up with pry bars, and 2 x 4s then pulled out the pallet. It was stressful, but it never felt dangerous, or out of balance getting it on the ground. You might want to see if you would like it on risers, and get those ready also.

That drop trailer will put that machine at ground level . I just push or pull the mill or lathe around with the Kubota with no issues . Even a pickum up truck will pull this mill . It is going into a garage or somewhere with a concrete floor ? Pipes and skids just make more work in my eyes , but my garage floor is easy accesable , which yours may not be .

Oh btw , it didn't happen without pics ! :big grin:

Back