Questions about a Sharp Mill

I have the same mill (manual), it is made by First Industries of Taiwan, and both Sharp and Acra put their name plates on them. Great mill and looks in very good condition, and a lot of mill for the price. Limitations of ball screws is that when used in a manual mode, they do not stay in position so one needs to be very careful when doing climb cutting. I am not sure of when using the servos under power feed with the pendent if they lock when they stop. I did use a Large Lagun mill with a similar CNC system and ball screws, it was extremely smooth and easy to use. A big step up from a bench mill. Major limitation is moving the mill, ideally if you can rend a drop deck trailer it makes it much easier to get onto the trailer.

The head is a mechanical Reeves drive so make sure it is quiet through the speed range, should be a 3 phase machine so you will need a RPC or possibly drive the motor with a VFD at 60 Hz, use the mechanical drive to adjust the speed.

All excellent replies guys. I did talk to the seller. He said it was an early 90's vintage and was in a two-man die shop, in other words, not a production environment. It has chromed ways which he said look like they are still new. He is the second owner, has not used it much, and is replacing it with a bed mill (I believe that is what he said).
Since this mill is two hours away, he is going to be getting me a video of it running.

I am having heart palpitations about how big this thing is, how to move it, and if I will have any room left in my shop to work around it.
I have attached a picture of my setup. The 833 would be sold. The large work/welding table can be moved to the left about 8". I was planning on cleaning the aluminum metal drops up and either tossing them or organizing them.
Why does my shop always look like a disaster?

Attachments

• IMG_20220522_160311692.jpg
    IMG_20220522_160311692.jpg
    498.3 KB · Views: 51
It'll go fine in that space. Send him a deposit and go rent a drop deck trailer, you're looking for an upgrade and this is clearly it. Put out a call to other hobby machinist members in your area to see who can help.

John

The footprint is not gonna change much. Imagine you have 5‘5” buddy standing in the corner weighing in at 150 pounds. Now switch that buddy with a 6’5” linebacker weighing in at 350 pounds. Still gonna be the same footprint just bigger and beefier in every way. it will be a great upgrade in my book.

Well, $500 down. Remainder due in a few days. Just need to come up with a plan to get it home. :)

He sent me a few videos of it running, including the full speed range. It sounded smooth. I know that a lot of guys wouldn't buy something sight unseen, but I also knew that it would be gone.

Congratulations. I'll second the drop bed trailer. I've seen them make life easy.

Moving something like this is done with your brain, not muscles.

Plenty of good threads on here about how to get it done but the main thing is don't be afraid to ask for help. Members here are a great source, you can also ask your local machine shops who moves their stuff, two hours drive might make sense to check with local movers or even flat bed tow operators.

Best and safest way is with a forklift and/or telehandler lift from the ram with wood blocking and keep it low. Even if it costs you $1k to get it safely into your shop you still have a bargain.

Just don't get in a hurry and end up like this guy....

John

Back