Precision Level Build

Machining is done. Next cleanup and install (vial) not Vile
033590e99ed1deb3e2d708bd2835c3e9.jpg

1c1708a80c63877d344d8895a418f5ae.jpg

0fd5f37c4d25cb6d5c81d666f2910626.jpg

Cutting oil is my blood.

Beautiful stuff! What is the POP for? I am unclear on how/if you calibrate this device?

Beautiful stuff! What is the POP for? I am unclear on how/if you calibrate this device?
If it is like a normal Starrett 98, the vial is held in the brass tube with plaster-of-paris. When you restore one, you use water to 'melt' the Plaster, then have to re-apply it after.

The POP is used to hold the vial in the tube securely. As it is just a slip fit right now. That is how Starrett levels are done. So if it is good for them it is good for me.

As for calibration it will be done on my surface plate. Per the attached video.

Keith has a great video on both of these questions. Well worth the 30 minutes.

Cutting oil is my blood.

If it is like a normal Starrett 98, the vial is held in the brass tube with plaster-of-paris. When you restore one, you use water to 'melt' the Plaster, then have to re-apply it after.

I was too slow responding

Cutting oil is my blood.

Did you use a ball end for the entire cut?
Looks great

Yes I did. I setup in a vise and did the first cut. It was on center and to depth. I then setup on the 45 and side milled the angles to finish. Being careful to keep centered.

I did an inspection of the groove and it is within.0004 parallel to sides and about .0002 to base.

Cutting oil is my blood.

Back