Precision Level Build

I am LOVING this....sadly I don't see me taking the plunge to make one, but am enjoying the hell out of watching you!

Well it is not really that hard I you go 1 step at a time. I was trying to post each step along the way to help visualize how to do it.

One could get it done without the sine plate and indexer if you don’t have those.

I learned long ago to break things down into small steps. It works most of the time.

Cutting oil is my blood.

I have the tools and a good level. As much as I would like to have one that I made, I think I spend 60% of my shop time making tools or making machines better, a habit I'm trying to break. You might be enabling me however. (I think AAA would refer to you as an enabler, err TMA? Tool Makers Anonymous)

I have the tools and a good level. As much as I would like to have one that I made, I think I spend 60% of my shop time making tools or making machines better, a habit I'm trying to break. You might be enabling me however. (I think AAA would refer to you as an enabler, err TMA? Tool Makers Anonymous)

I like that. TMA.

HI I’m Tom and I am a Toolaholic

Cutting oil is my blood.

My only criticism is your use of a round recess on the bottom instead of a vee. The vee can be used to place the level over a round object, while the round is limited on the sizes it can accommodate.

My only criticism is your use of a round recess on the bottom instead of a vee. The vee can be used to place the level over a round object, while the round is limited on the sizes it can accommodate.

As it is a .250 radius then transitions to 45 deg on each side. It will fit over any round that is over 1/2” dia. So yes I am limited to anything under 1/2” dia.
The main reason I opted for the radius is more meat through the centerline and I like the look of the radius. Mainly for looks to be honest.

The Starrett levels have that cool double convex curve. That would have required me to make a custom cutter. I am not motivated enough to do that anymore.

Anyhow it looks like I will be getting my Starrett vial tomorrow. With any luck I can have it put together and calibrated on Friday. The small vials are not due to arrive until late next week.

Cutting oil is my blood.

I have it put together and getting it all level now. I added some racing stripes to the cover yesterday. Here is where I stand right now getting it level.
71b63938ca99d2e1e877b6b454c4f678.jpg

cda1d3c9d2373483f9665de90f2759e8.jpg

Cutting oil is my blood.

Here it is with a .0025 Shim under 1 edge. The level is 6” long. So it looks pretty darned close to the advertised.005ln.
/ft
8b5595c5dc353340ea982682d1036231.jpg

Cutting oil is my blood.

That is remarkable and pleasing to the eye!
Hey I noticed you didn't post any pics of the POP. How did that go? I was afraid it would be a sloppy mess and get behind the vial.

Back