Paint? Color?

That paint sure looks great against the polished metal parts. Grey is neutral, but it sucks the life out of chromy bits. The industrial design of the 1940s deserves the nice paint. Like Pontiac blue...

hppp_1009_06_o-pontiac_v_8_crate_engines-front_view.jpg

Yup, those are mostly my thoughts.

Designed in the 30’s and built in the 50’s. It’s a little bit art-deco and a little bit 50’s “space race” flash.

A lot of the color inspiration actually came from some of the vintage sewing machines I also have a small collection of. I even have a singer 328 painted with the same metallic turquoise paint.

:)

IIRC, the grey (gray?) vehicle fad started when Audi resurrected the original Volkswagen gloss grey from the 1930's. Just a decade back, silver was the most popular color (just look around any parking lot).

America’s Most Popular Car Colors (according to iSeeCars.Com)

RankColorPercentage Share
1White23.9%
2Black23.2%
3Gray15.5%
4Silver14.5%
5Red10.3%
6Blue9.0%
7Brown1.4%
8Green0.7%
9Beige0.4%
10Orange0.4%
11Gold0.3%
12Yellow0.2%
13Purple0.1%

IIRC, the grey (gray?) vehicle fad started when Audi resurrected the original Volkswagen gloss grey from the 1930's. Just a decade back, silver was the most popular color (just look around any parking lot).

America’s Most Popular Car Colors (according to iSeeCars.Com)

RankColorPercentage Share
1White23.9%
2Black23.2%
3Gray15.5%
4Silver14.5%
5Red10.3%
6Blue9.0%
7Brown1.4%
8Green0.7%
9Beige0.4%
10Orange0.4%
11Gold0.3%
12Yellow0.2%
13Purple0.1%
Oh yeah man, I was also part of the “silver wave” with a 2004 chrysler 300M Special. Loved that car, I actually regret getting rid of it.

But back then, you couldn’t swing a dead cat without hitting a silver car/truck…

With my back out (and I could use a break from sucking up paint fumes) I took the day and did a little reassembly with the parts that were ready:

CBFB64D0-BF19-4A4A-AD23-E25AB2722A61.jpeg

I did take the time to run all the fasteners under the buffing wheel to give it a little more “pop”. Besides, I couldn’t put dirty and dull fasteners on the new paint job.

Nothing is adjusted yet, its just assembled. Adjustments will come later once its all back together.

It’s coming along nicely. I‘m pretty stoked that the colors look as good as they do!

:)

Last edited:
Got up today with the intent of getting a lot done around the house and on the lathe.

Well, my bod had different ideas.

About 10-odd years ago, I was flying a night mission on NVG’s. While hanging out the door and conning my pilots down into a confined area, the rescue door came off its lock and slid back.

It caught me square in the helmet and crushed my head between the 5’x7’ sliding door and the aircraft door frame. Cracked my flight helmet nearly in half and 15 grand worth of NVG’s went flying out into the blackness. They’re classified as weapons and thankfully the Army guys found them the next day on exercise. That would have been one hell of a lot of paperwork.

But, in the process of crushing my helmet, the door actually broke my neck. We would find out later I had a fractured C5 vertebrae and the C4/5 disc had almost exploded to mush. That was the end of the mission and the SAR Techs had me strapped to a backer board and in a cervical collar until we RTB’d where they already had an ambulance waiting for me. Takes a lot to freak those boys out and they were genuinely worried I was going to end up a quad. So much so that they strapped me down so tight I could barely move my fingers and even when I did, they’d loose their minds and order me not to even move my hair. Took many months and lots of mind numbingly boring physio before the flight surgeon would clear me to fly again.

It never healed quite right so its a problem from time to time. To this day, I can’t do a left shoulder check when driving. Neck just won’t rotate that way anymore.

As I was starting my day, my neck went “crick” and dropped me to the ground.

Well, so much for getting lots done.

Took about 30 mins before the wife could get me off the floor and a couple hours before I could get up off the bed. VAC actually gave me one of those “I’ve fallen and I can’t get up things” and it tripped when I fell to the floor. They called and the wife had to assure them that I was ok, even though she wanted to call 911 herself. I wouldn’t let her….

I did manage to do a few small things though. One of them was removing the lathe backer board and giving it a fresh coat of black engine enamel:

B1247486-869D-4F57-8197-15877B361D01.jpeg
AEEE5D2A-6CE9-40F4-8912-1C4F379EC7FD.jpeg

Came out pretty good and compliments the smoked plexi doors on the cabinet nicely.

Not bad for a guy with a broken back and broken neck…even if the wife gave me a thorogh dressing down when she saw me xrossing the garage with the backer board in hand….lol!

Last edited:
You are very fortunate to be alive and moving around. Thank you for sharing your story and for your service.

Glad you are around to tell the story. BTW, the black backer board really makes the whole setup look much sharper.

As an aside, I would highly recommend a bushing of some sort in the holes in the top of the cabinet. Just a piece of hose slit lengthwise if nothing more. Just the old school electrician in me bubbling up. . .

As an aside, I would highly recommend a bushing of some sort in the holes in the top of the cabinet. Just a piece of hose slit lengthwise if nothing more. Just the old school electrician in me bubbling up. . .

I use “caterpillar” linings. Basically, a plastic insulator that lines the cut hokes.

Not much to see today:

C444A260-9A2B-4730-97C6-96F2E26D04E2.jpeg

It was a day if building up the head. But, its together and its done. Big hurdle to clear and now its mainly just polishing and painting bits and pieces.

One thing I did have to change was to flip the change gear bull gear on the spindle over. I was using the lathe a while back and it picked up a lot of noise all at once. Shutdown and inspection revealed the small driven gesr and the bull gear had gotten swarf between them and scarred the faces. Worse than that though was the bull gear had developed “steps” where the driven gear had worn into it. This made the whole train loud and rattle-y. So I flipped it and it runs pretty quiet again. There was some binding at point in the rotation, ut a little careful work with the swiss files cleaned up some mushrooming and casting flash. Runs smooth and quiet again…

Last edited:
Back