Paint? Color?

Getting there:

E2ABFAD7-5D86-4C53-9B7B-3361D75E6237.jpeg

They’re all the same color, the metallic flake in the paint makes it look like a slightly different shade depending on how the light hits it.

Tomorrow I’ll paint the bed ways and maybe the gear head.

Theres a couple small bits after that to be painted, but then its done and I’ll be in to reassembly. I figure by Saturday it should be going back together.

The cabinet is going a metallic silver to compliment the metal bits on the lathe and to make the black/smoke plexi doors on the cabinet pop. For now though, the top will just be painted so I can put the lather back together.

The chip tray I think I’m going to go with a black engine enamel. Tough, thick and oil resistant.

Last edited:
looking forward to seeing the completed project

Bed is done and hardening up:

12EC27AF-EA0C-453C-A7C2-460F974DF62C.jpeg

Decided to paint the cabinet a darker tone of metallic silver:

21C0EBFB-18AE-473B-A394-B20C630D46FB.jpeg

I only painted the top surface for now. I still have some work to do to the rest of the cabinet (ie:welding) and I only had one can of the silver paint. But I wanted to get the top surface painted so I can start building the lathe back up on it on the weekend.

When I get around to it, I’m going to paint the backer board gloss black to match the chip tray.

It is looking great. Can wait to see photos of it going back together...

Headstock and “brain box” painted:

541A59A2-A448-4B91-AD4F-2F248E1D8B12.jpeg
032F10CE-2C4B-4819-88D4-49C5198E371D.jpeg

All thats left to paint is the motor/pulley brackets and a couple “shields“ that go between the change gear-train and the change gear cover.

Then on to reassembly. I still think that will be Saturday at the earliest. The paint says it can be handled after 1 hr, but I prefer to wait for the 24hr full cure time before handling it too much.

I also now believe the lathe was originally a dark gray color (almost black) as under all the multiple layers of green it was the dark gray and then metal. Either that, or they used a primer/filler that was the dark gray color.

Last edited:
I did a quick assembly of the main parts to get an idea of how it will look:

6658720B-BCA7-4211-80A9-D4299E40C030.jpeg

Nothing is bolted together except the ways and the feet, the rest is just sitting in place.

But I can sure see how its going to look when finished and I think its going to be a stunner.

It’s going to go nicely with my eventual “man-cave-i-zation” of the garage, all while still being a functional tool.

I like it!!

:)

And as usual, my “luck“ still holds. I broke my back flying a sar mission 250 miles off sable island many moons ago and its been a problem ever since. So I tweaked my bad back lifting the bed ways over the cabinet and out into place. So its a day of sitting on the couch, waiting for my back to calm down again….:(

Last edited:
I like the colour, better than the med gray like most modern machines are painted. Notice the colours that BMW and most of the Japanese vehicles are using this year? Machine gray and similar colours. Ug
Pierre

I did a quick assembly of the main parts to get an idea of how it will look:

View attachment 415442

Nothing is bolted together except the ways and the feet, the rest is just sitting in place.

But I can sure see how its going to look when finished and I think its going to be a stunner.

It’s going to go nicely with my eventual “man-cave-i-zation” of the garage, all while still being a functional tool.

I like it!!

:)

And as usual, my “luck“ still holds. Tweaked my bad back lifting the bed ways over the cabinet and out into place. So its a day of sitting on the couch, waiting for my back to calm down again….:(

Amazing how much better it looks with some TLC and a fresh coat of paint.

l hope your back heals quickly, ouch…

That paint sure looks great against the polished metal parts. Grey is neutral, but it sucks the life out of chromy bits. The industrial design of the 1940s deserves the nice paint. Like Pontiac blue...

hppp_1009_06_o-pontiac_v_8_crate_engines-front_view.jpg

I like the colour, better than the med gray like most modern machines are painted. Notice the colours that BMW and most of the Japanese vehicles are using this year? Machine gray and similar colours. Ug
Pierre
Not just imports, domestics also. I wanted an f150 in a magnetic gray color. I ended up with black (end year purchase, limited stock left) but would have taken gray over it.

Outside of the racer boy opinion that it makes it more “stealthy” around police, the gray hides dirt much better than most colors. Even more so if its more to the flat than gloss.

Its a fad though, it will pass as soon as the accounting boys figure out it doesn’t (or does) boost sales..

Back