Paint? Color?

Hmmmm.... I just went to the Menards website, and it is not listed. Rotroh. I think I only have one can of it and I have two vises to paint at some point. :confused:
If you find it, grab them all… I have been trying to find some for over a year now…

What are those inserts for the jaws?

Soft face jaws painted a hammered bronze/copper?
Those are real copper, not painted. An accessory for the vise. Soft jaws, correct.

Last edited:
More turquoise:

EF7F6EBE-F3D0-47B2-9915-DB5E6ED62FB4.jpeg

Liking it more as more bits are painted. I think its a keeper.

It has a little bit of a color shift look to it as the tone seems to change depending on the light direction. I especially like how the paint accentuates the curves and shapes of the castings. Makes the “style” of the lathe more evident, whereas I find the green/gray tends to hide it.

It also does nothing to cover the “battle scars”, in fact, I think it makes them more prominent. But that’s ok, it just shows that the lathe has “time in”.

I thought about giving it a skim of body filler to cover the rough casting look, but decided against it. I’m happy I didn’t as the rough casting almost gives the paint a “hammered” look.

Will take more effort to keep it clean, but thats only a little more effort over what I do now to keep it clean and free of chips and grease.

Brass name plates will look nice against the turquoise and the silver bits will also “kick it up a notch”.

I’m going for a bit of a functional art look.

I also think I got the last 3 cans in Canada. Looked online and every store that carries it has “0” stock.

Talked with the counter girl at HD when I picked up the 3 cans and she looked it up. Valid stock number, not discontinued. She said that the manufacturers are having a hard time filling stock orders for their ”regular” paints and all the “specialty” ones are waaay behind on order fulfillment. so while I’ve got plenty to finish my job, its anyones guess if there will be any more….

Last edited:
The gears cover looks so different… is that just how the light is hitting it?

The gears cover looks so different… is that just how the light is hitting it?
Yep. It all came out of the same can. Unless you mean the change gear cover on the left side and not the head cover. The side cover came from a different can and is a light coat. I need to give it another coat to finish it up.

Last edited:
The change gear cover, correct. Makes sense now.

Started pulling the lathe apart today. So far the saddle is off, the change gears and arms removed, and the leadscrew is removed. Was worth pulling the saddle off if for no other reason than to clean and inspect the gubbins inside the apron. Its all in good shape, but the oil, wear materials and just general age had everything covered in some of the most oily, metal infused, dried up greasy disgusting mess I’ve seen in a while.

Also managed to give the change gear cover another coat and paint the compound slide parts.

Last edited:
Back