Paint? Color?

Score!

After my 2nd booster shot, I decided to check out the local hardware stores (had to go 45 mins down the road for my appt) to see if I could find any more of the rust-oleum metallic turquoise.

Struck out at about 3-4 stores I stopped at. Nothing.

Theres a home hardware store buried in the local mall and its mostly a “homeowner” dept store type of deal. I had checked thier online stock and they weren’t supposed to have any left. I dropped in anyways because it was on the way home and surprise surprise: they had 5 cans sitting on the shelf.

It was 22 bucks a can (!) so I grabbed 4 cans and made for the cash.

Thats more than enough to finish and also paint the steady rest, milling attachment, etc.

I’ll also probably have 1-2 cans left over to put away for touch ups and such.

Now I’m going to go lie down and get ready for a day of misery as my body deals with the vaccine. Othing serious, I’m just going to be miserable for a day or so. Happens every time I get a vaccine of any sort. Flu shots mess me up too. Its just the way my body works…

I also realized that while I did pull the spindle and install the belt, I used the motor belt and not the spindle belt. So it has to come apart again. The motor belt is just a bit too long to work on the spindle.

I’m getting pretty good at pulling the spindle out of the head by now…..

I'll just leave this here... In case you decide to catch on.

81KJZn574lL._SL1500_.jpg

images

The Atlas used to throw grease from the jackshaft bearings on to the backer board and the wall behind it. Theres felt seals there to supposedly stop the grease from getting out, but its a halfway measure at best.

I decided I wanted to see if I could do something to cut down on that so I made a couple “shields”:

68F4A57B-06AC-4B58-8C21-9B7476F5842D.jpeg

AB951B74-88DF-40BB-A6BC-483DEDE7043B.jpeg

They won’t do anything to stop it from slinging grease, but hopefully they’ll catch most of it. I made them so that I can remove one nut on each and pull them off for cleaning.

We’ll soon see if it was worthwhile or just a waste of time….

Last edited:
I did the same but used magnets to hold them in place. You can just make them out in the photo.
Pierre

DE95F581-A2F7-407E-9CF3-C46278086DE5.jpeg

More grunt work today:

E570BA58-C5AD-4ADD-B9B0-9C3879EA8D41.jpeg

9BB94AD7-1C56-4B56-9978-4B507A5F2BB4.jpeg

Got the motor and jackshaft/pulleys mounted.

I use a big Baldor dc motor so its got pretty big permanent magnets in it. That often means chips get stuck to the outside of the casing. So I built the chip shield/ deflector you can see under the jackshaft stand.

More grunt work today:

View attachment 416341

View attachment 416342

Got the motor and jackshaft/pulleys mounted.

I use a big Baldor dc motor so its got pretty big permanent magnets in it. That often means chips get stuck to the outside of the casing. So I built the chip shield/ deflector you can see under the jackshaft stand.
That is looking amazing!

That is looking amazing!
Thanks. I’ll probably have to cut back the motor shield when I reinstall the chip deflector behind the lathe, but thats not a big deal. The one over the motor is just a thin piece of aluminum and cuts easily.

Ohh that is nice!! I like it!

Back