Paint? Color?

Your lathe, pick the color you want to see every time you are working with it…

Have fun!

At the Tuckahoe Steam and Gas Association machine shop museum, I'm restoring a Putnam gap bed lathe and I believe it was originally black, then painted a bright yellow and then a bright red. We are going to paint it a oxblood color. So it's different and it stands out from the black and the gray machines, but it doesn't scream "look at me."

I vote for sky blue pink if that suits you. I don't care for bright red, but it is suitable for hiding blood. I like the turquoise but it shouldn't be a high gloss. ..

well, had the color on a piece of the lathe for a day now. I’m running hot and cold on the color:

4D167A07-397C-4F93-A0F3-F873A926ADAD.jpeg

D0B63666-713E-4051-B22F-C4FA5C926214.jpeg
I like the color, but it may be a bit shiny and possibly a little out of place in the garage.

gotta live with it a few more days before making a decision….

I vote for mint green. My Atlas Craftsman is from 1944 and I think it was either gray or blue originally. It came in Sparkle Mint Disco Green. I decided to just go with it. I couldn't find a rattle-can color that was close, so I used auto paint when I added the QCGB. The color has held up well.
20220723_161556.jpg

well, had the color on a piece of the lathe for a day now. I’m running hot and cold on the color:

View attachment 414803

View attachment 414804
I like the color, but it may be a bit shiny and possibly a little out of place in the garage.

gotta live with it a few more days before making a decision….
Do you like the color? If that is a yes, then paint a few more of the easy parts to do so…

Right now you are comparing it to a sea of the other color…. Then decide if you go with something else…

Again, your lathe, your shop… don’t worry, be happy

it is like it was discontinued…
Hmmmm.... I just went to the Menards website, and it is not listed. Rotroh. I think I only have one can of it and I have two vises to paint at some point. :confused:

Back