PAID projects?

If we PAID you to post projects, (say $50-$100), would you post one of your projects?

• Yes

Votes: 15 18.1%
  • No

Votes: 68 81.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I vote no. Possibilities of abuse and discrepencies, what one might think as a project, such as what Bill Gruby said, others will not.

Good point. All projects are worthy. But do all projects warrant prominence?

In my opinion, yes they so. How else are we to encourage the neophyte to post his stuff. If the cream always wins the neophyte will say, "What's the use I will never be that good". If we put a criteria on the projects that is exactly what will happen.

"Billy G"

I would not accept payment for a project. My biggest hold up of most projects is the cost of raw material being what it is. I also remember to take pictures, or think to take pictures after the fact. I ment to take before during and after pictures of a couple small brass hammers Im making, but got so excited about getting to make them I forgot.
:whistle::nuts::dunno:

From what I am reading, you guys value RECOGNITION over money.

So my question is, other than the Project of the Month, which has been on hiatus a while, and the "Like" and "Thank" buttons, which you would like to be more conspicuous, what other ideas for recognition do you have? We are VERY willing to try new things.

I want to start by saying that I really appreciate this thread Nelson.

ok. I will say a few things, not knowing a darn thing about execution.

-What if the beginning of a thread showed a total count of "like"s and "thanks" in the whole thread. Sort of shows how a certain thread is affecting readers, like an appreciation quotient. People do 't seem to use the "rate this thread" thread tool often, that I know.

-What if one could filter threads by this total "like" or "thank" count? This would bring most active, popular threads to new folks too, and they could see important lessons right away. This would help when searching too.

-Maybe a "total responses shared" , "contributor" type of emblem on the persons ID, profile pic, or info? Some people go through a lot of trouble here helping people, responding positively to them, encouraging, etc etc. ... This should encourage more active participation.

-A similar "total likes/thanks" received emblem on the logo, profile pic, or info. Same motivation.

-What about a little message pops up when a person has to log in, and every time they re-log in again, reminding them that participation is key!

-this next idea sounds like a BAD idea (maybe naggy), but I'll share it in case it can LEAD to a good one- ... ok- a little pop up or message asking if someone wants to add something when they try to CLOSE a thread, or return to a forum, or the main screen.

-Lastly- but most importantly, NEW members need to prominently see that "thanks" and "likes" are how experienced and helpful members know they have helped you- and how to get them and others to help you even more!!

Ok i'll step away from the key board for a while :)

Bernie

That question of what is a worthy project, in my opinion, I don't show my work for recognition either. I show it so all can see it can be done. would leave many out. If a member makes a screw and it's his first and right, who are we to say it is not worthy. I see no definition that will fit. Recognition is nice for sure, but to post just to get it. Again it would leave many out.

Now, with that said, do I know a better way, unfortunately no I don't. But I do know, you cannot leave anyone out.

"Billy G"

Bill, you are the wisest of the wise. I agree with you completely with everything you said.

No thanks, it is scary to ask for money then give it away. Love the site and its' moderators. They have been great with their advice. Don't want to be an internet fail video. Haven't made any of my own threads because I am usually past a good start before I realize that I forgot to document. Hopefully it 12 more years I will be able to afford the extra time. I really appreciate those that do, they are much better people than me. I wish the clock could go back and this thread have never happened! The commercialization of the internet is a terrible thing at times.

Any time I see any kind of rating system on a forum, I feel like heading for the hills. It isn't about who's got the best or most popular project. The best thing we can offer to other members is acceptance. We all want to feel that we belong.

Bill brought up a good point in mentioning a simple thing like a bolt. I'd even go down to (and we have had some such posts) first chips. If you've never cut metal before and you figure out how to get it to work (or not as the case may be), you deserve to post it and share your victory or ask "What went wrong?"

You will recognize that all of this does happen here. We've seen everything here from first chips and broken tools to some absolutely magnificent work. We just need to remember to post a comment on it when we read it. I'll admit I don't comment on every post I read, not by a long shot. I'll try to do better. I'm starting to like the Thanks and Like buttons as I read this thread. Takes no time at all and could be the encouragement someone needs.

We do have a Projects section, divided into a handful of worthy topics. Maybe we need to add a forum there on First Steps, just so someone who is reluctant to post a beginning project knows he's not alone. And maybe separate Woodworking from Other Projects. There are some pretty good woodworkers in this group.

I, like a lot of you, always click on New Posts when I log on, so I don't miss any threads, regardless of the category. I don't often read every new post. I don't have an Atlas (or Clausing, or ...) anything, so I don't often go into new posts in that section. I know I might miss some worthwhile accessory that would relate to any brand of milling machine, but time doesn't allow me to read every post every day. Maybe after I retire. I'm just saying that having everything divided into brand names does effect the way I use the forum.

What can I say? It's raining, so I'm spouting. Keep up the good work, everyone.

Im going to make an attempt just like Mike to comment and use the like option a bit more. Personally i think if we all made that commitment we would have a simple solution to this.

Shawn

Yessiree!

Bernie

I don't know the number of member this forum has. At the writing of this post, only 66 of them have voted on this poll. I'm just comparing the small number who have participated, are probably the same ones who post projects. Anyone see where I'm going with this?

I don't know the number of member this forum has. At the writing of this post, only 66 of them have voted on this poll. I'm just comparing the small number who have participated, are probably the same ones who post projects. Anyone see where I'm going with this?

It's always this way. Matter of fact this one has a high vote count. The only one that has had more had 119 votes. We have 5000+ members.

"Billy G"

Back