PAID projects?

If we PAID you to post projects, (say $50-$100), would you post one of your projects?

• Yes

Votes: 15 18.1%
  • No

Votes: 68 81.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I think the consensus is that if we comment more we would solve the problem and I would have to agree to a point. I posted 6 projects in one thread that only had one comment with 239 views so either they weren't interesting or those that typically comment had been there, done that. Regardless, life's good and I'll continue to post.

That brings me to my point. This thread has had 1,100+ views. 6+ of those are mine since I've been here at least once a day since it posted. The people that have commented here are the ones that comment in most of the posts and I would guess 5-10 views here belong to each of you. That means then that only 100-200 people have viewed this. Is part of the problem then that too many of the members are inactive?

What could draw more members in to view threads? What do you think about sending an email to each member one time when a new thread is created in the project forum? Would that bother people? Certainly not me. If an email is sent, what if it included a reminder about commenting, using like/thank buttons?

BTW, I say no to the money.

Dave

Payment for project write-ups is unlikely to work because the amount of money could never be high enough to make it profitable to do the article for the money alone. I've never seen a specialized publication or online equivalent that could pay me anything near a living wage considering the time it takes to take and process photos, organize and write up anything comprehensive.

There are those of us who find it easy to write, and who can handle digital photography of our projects. Many (myself included) may well crank out this kind of material but have other places for it. For example, I have two Web sites, one with more than two thousand pages of my work. My metal working site has at least a hundred articles in addition to a compendium of 450 illustrated shop tips. I suppose I could post projects on this forum as well, but I have my own sites and forum to feed. And, my time is even more limited these days as I spend six days at work in the guitar shop. (After my minor stroke last November, the docs have me walking to work, which increased my commute time from ten minutes to an hour.)

If you really want to attract new additions to the project forum, I suggest you make it incredibly easy to post the material. My experience is that most fora and clubs are filled with nonparticipants. Why don't these folks post projects? Fear of criticism, general shyness, lack of familiarity with online procedures, lack of interest, not enough praise, selfishness - there could be any number of reasons.

For sure, if there are to be lots of high quality projects posted, somebody is going to have to do some work. If those who do the projects won't or can't make the effort, then maybe the forum staff will want to step in. Suppose volunteer editor/moderators were willing to receive the uploaded photos, select, process and organize them. and even assist in the writing.

Is the goal of assembling more project articles important enough to justify that kind of effort? Is there a software solution that would make it compellingly easy for members to do it themselves? Am I rambling and free-associating because it's time to set the clocks back to Standard Time and get to bed?

Yep, that's it - - g'night. . .

Well, I have changed my clocks so I guess it is perfectly fine for me to continue with this "rambling" ;-)

I have read most of the posts on this thread and I have to admit it has been very entertaining to see all the different points of view. My question then is, what is all this sudden interests in posting projects? Perhaps for experts out there this would be the only reason for attending this forum in which case what we would need to answer is: what is the ratio of experienced to newbie users?

In my case, I didn't join this forum, neither continue to come in, for the projects. I joined because I was desperately looking for a lathe (if you will remember...) and then also had a trillion questions. What I found was a fascinatingly large group of friendly folks not only with the experience to help but also the most amazing friendliness towards doing so. And then I was hooked!

Yes, I enjoy the projects as they allow me to learn more and more. Considering I have been a newbie for the past 16 years (read: I AM STILL A NEWBIE, YES SIREE!), that aspect of me should remain alive for quite a while.

To be honest, this forum is to me like a club. It is my interest in machining what keeps my wanting to come back and check what's new, pumping. What you do to compensate posters is kind of irrelevant as, at the end, I think the great majority of us come here for the camaraderie, not the potential to make a buck.

But for some of us, if we get a check for $50-$100 bucks because we posted a machining project, that gives us a chance to show up at home with about $1000 worth of junk and then tell our wives "But honey! I need all of this so that I can work on the next project in which I am getting paid for!":rofl:

I didn't vote because I would post projects irrespective of the monetary incentive. In that regard, the money really is meaningless to me.

I think that the community has the power to influence people to post projects by being more active and encouraging. A simple "well done, I like how you did....." would be sufficient many times.

In my daily job I am responsible for building networks and training teams of people to squeeze performance from them. Nothing encourages people more than a positive atmosphere, a sense of belonging and simple recognition or encouragement.

Although admirable, I believe that you can't carry this one Nelson - and we need to up the ante and do our part in spurring each other on. This comes down to the 5000+ members chiming in when someone does their best and posts. I recall a post where someone cut a tiny screw for their glasses. That was one of the best projects I had seen and I read in disbelief how someone cut such a tiny thread. Like a lazy dolt though, I didn't even post a "thanks" or a "like".

This is where we as individuals and members of this forum can make a difference.

Paul.

I voted no. If we're really that hard up for content, I'll start taking more pictures and documenting things as I go along. I think internet forums like this should be done for the fun of it. They're made up of members who should be trying to help each other out with knowledge and experience. If you want to get paid, go into metal working on a professional level or do little side jobs here and there.

Paying people to post projects just rubs me the wrong way. Either people are willing to post for free or they are so materialistic that $50 or $100 would be needed get them to do it.

Just having 1 or 2 person out of the 5000 subscribers saying great job is probably all the thanks most people expect.

I know two things deter me from posting project type info. Machinist forums, vs lets say,woodworking forums, in general, seem to concentrate more on machining technique than the machined item.

Particularly for us hobbiest folks. Talk about making something and many times there are comments on other alternative ways it could have been done. Probably the vast majority of those type comments are offered in a sincere manner and are even valid. We are all trying to learn together. It's just that I think they detract from someone's project post.

Now, in the woodworking forums I frequent technique comments are very infrequent when someone is showing/describing something they made. It's all about how the finished product is perceived.

2nd, probably all my 'projects' are not 'machining' exclusive. I may machine several pieces that are integral to my project but they are not the focal point of my project. Machining might even take up the majority of the time too. I'm famous for using a $5000 lathe to machine a few 5 cent washers and take 2 hours to do it!:)). I also use my lathe and mill for general maintenance. I can weld up and do a little 'machining' and have a repair bracket for fixing my favorite lazy boy recliner.

I've probably made enough chips to pack a 50 gallon drum or two but not sure I have ever done a 'project'.

Now maybe there is some way to drum up interest and have a project of the quarter contest with the winner getting a $100 donation to their favorite charity. Maybe even have 2nd and 3rd place winners getting lesser donations.

I don't think it matters anymore Dan. The Project of the Day Thread has come alive. Over 800 posts now. I'm impressed at the projects being poster in there now. Amazing stuff.

"Billy G" :allgood:

Just a thought, and maybe I am way off here, but to me it would make more sense to have a forum for "What did you do in your shop today?" rather than a thread for that. If it were a separate forum, each person could start his own thread with a specific subject line about the project. It could even be a sub forum in the General Machining forum.

My thoughts behind this are that sometime down the road, one of us will remember seeing where somebody made the perfect tool of some sort, but may not remember where the thread was. If the thread had its own subject line, it would probably be much easier to search out and find.

Just food for thought.

I have many projects that i have done with some decent progress photos. I plan to post them as soon as i find the time to do so.I will do so whether you offer to pay or not. I would rather not do so for money but just the pride of the project and to share with others and get input. So if i ever do post after you should decide to pay send payment to a charity of your choice instead.

- - - Updated - - -

We're trying to find ideas to encourage MORE projects. So the question is: if we PAID you to post projects, (say $50-$100), would you be MORE inclined to post one of your projects?

If not, what WOULD make you want to POST a project?
I think the question should be "should we offer $50 or $100 to post projects" my vote woud be NO.

Back