PAID projects?

If we PAID you to post projects, (say $50-$100), would you post one of your projects?

• Yes

Votes: 15 18.1%
  • No

Votes: 68 81.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I realize this project was meant to be cute, but it only got three replies, which were great ones, and then got buried. Maybe these type of projects aren't what this forum is about.

http://www.hobby-machinist.com/showthread.php/18667-Grapple-repair-Tough-customer

I did put a bit of time into taking and posting the pics.

For me, just a simple click on the LIKE button would do wonders. Maybe having the Likes and Thanks tallied under our user name.

For me, this forum IS the reason I'm doing these projects. Motivation and inspiration.

That was a great post I don't know how I missed it.

Jeff

I also voted no. I love to read project threads but IMHO nothing but grief could come from this in the long run, and I feel it goes against the spirit of this site.

I agree with Mike, and those above.

I understand the motivation to motivate, but I vote no.
Right now, we are all motivated by sharing and helping. I would say that we should send our efforts motivating each other to bother to respond, follow, subscribe, and click "like" and "thanks" to posts.

On that note- we should fix the "like" and "thanks" for iPad and iPhone to aid this, as I can't do either without going to "web view".

We really need to encourage lurkers to at least click like or thanks. Some surprisingly interesting posts and threads go by sometimes without a trace...

I love this site with the attitude we have now. :)

Bernie

A few people mentioned the likes and thanks as being an important feedback from other members. If we were to have a 'projects' forum, maybe we could set it up so that people could like a whole thread or any likes that are attributed to posts in the thread to the originator of the thread would be the thread likes/thanks.

And make the like/thanks buttons prominent in the threads.

Just thinking out loud.

A few people mentioned the likes and thanks as being an important feedback from other members. If we were to have a 'projects' forum, maybe we could set it up so that people could like a whole thread or any likes that are attributed to posts in the thread to the originator of the thread would be the thread likes/thanks.

And make the like/thanks buttons prominent in the threads.

Just thinking out loud.

+1! :)

Bernie

I'm already embarrassed to thrust my simple projects onto the same thread as some of the master craftsmen on this site even without money changing hands. I think the idea of increasing participation has merit but paying for a post would be problematic, IMHO. Some projects are just not worth any cash amount (my own come to mind) and I see hard feelings in the future as someone has to determine who gets paid and who doesn't. As an incentive to increase participation, why not have a "Project of the Month" or "Project of the Week" with a cash prize associated with it. It's less likely that someone would get ****** just for not winning a prize and at the same time FNG's like myself would not be discouraged from posting. Just my $.02
Ed P

I voted no BTW. I like the idea of a Projects section. The "likes" and "thanks" are a huge boost to any project poster. Even a simple " I like your project" comment post really encourages people to post more. I think what people are really looking for is just an acknowledgement that somebody actually digs what they're doing. I'm guilty of reading some really cool projects and not commenting mostly because i feel that I can't add anything to the fantastic job they're doing, but this thread has made me realize thats not the right attitude. I know I feel a little bummed out when it seems that nobody is reading about my project, especially because of the fact that it takes some doing to remember to take pictures and it's also a lot of work to post and upload pictures etc...

I just did a few projects for my "new to me" Taiwan 12 x 30 lathe. I made a new carriage lock for it and I "made" some change gears for it that were'nt available to purchase. Now I can thread metric ,0.225 thru 7.5mm threads, and also large american thread threads 4-7tpi by 1/2s, plus all the the regular threads all the way up to 112 TPI. I bought 20 pitch, 20 degree gears, 2- 40 tooth and a 30 and a 32 tooth but I had to bore them, cut down the widths and the shoulder width and shoulder diameter and broach metric keyways.

Another issue for me personally is that when I'm working, I hate distractions, it messes with my train of thought...so in that regard I might be better suited to video. But then theres the problem of editing out all the boring parts and the one man conversations that i have with myself.:lmao:

Marcel

From what I am reading, you guys value RECOGNITION over money.

So my question is, other than the Project of the Month, which has been on hiatus a while, and the "Like" and "Thank" buttons, which you would like to be more conspicuous, what other ideas for recognition do you have? We are VERY willing to try new things.

Forms of recognition are hard. They best come from a wider audience and if genuine matter the most. I think if there was a better means to have someone like something that would be enough. Perhaps akin to the poll, except there would only be an agree button and the poll would remain at the top of the thread. I think it all comes down to allowing people to easily recognize there is a like button.

For projects, in my mind, we need a separate forum. One that remains prominent and probably advertised. If projects were prominent then more people would see them. To find the most prominent place to put the projects is an excersize in understanding your populations viewing habits. I for one read almost every post here and watch the latest posts section, others probably go through their favorite forums and concentrate on them. Projects need to be prominent but projects also need to be worthy of the prominence.

Now the questions is, what is worthy of a project? Maybe need some definition here if we are going to promote them.

From what I am reading, you guys value RECOGNITION over money.

So my question is, other than the Project of the Month, which has been on hiatus a while, and the "Like" and "Thank" buttons, which you would like to be more conspicuous, what other ideas for recognition do you have? We are VERY willing to try new things.

That question of what is a worthy project, in my opinion, I don't show my work for recognition either. I show it so all can see it can be done. would leave many out. If a member makes a screw and it's his first and right, who are we to say it is not worthy. I see no definition that will fit. Recognition is nice for sure, but to post just to get it. Again it would leave many out.

Now, with that said, do I know a better way, unfortunately no I don't. But I do know, you cannot leave anyone out.

"Billy G"

Good point. All projects are worthy. But do all projects warrant prominence?

That question of what is a worthy project, in my opinion, I don't show my work for recognition either. I show it so all can see it can be done. would leave many out. If a member makes a screw and it's his first and right, who are we to say it is not worthy. I see no definition that will fit. Recognition is nice for sure, but to post just to get it. Again it would leave many out.

Now, with that said, do I know a better way, unfortunately no I don't. But I do know, you cannot leave anyone out.

"Billy G"

Back