PAID projects?

If we PAID you to post projects, (say $50-$100), would you post one of your projects?

• Yes

Votes: 15 18.1%
  • No

Votes: 68 81.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
As others, I voted "No" regarding paid postings. I have to admit that even making a competition out of projects will likely cause me to lose interest. If that were to happen, I would not be as prone to post a project because I would feel that there was no point, since it wouldn't win anyway. That's one less project thread for members to learn from.

I have to agree with Shawn. Many times, I feel I need to post in the POTD thread instead of a separate project thread. Anything in that huge, popular thread, becomes harder to find at a later date.

We're trying to find ideas to encourage MORE projects. So the question is: if we PAID you to post projects, (say $50-$100), would you be MORE inclined to post one of your projects?

If not, what WOULD make you want to POST a project?

I realize this project was meant to be cute, but it only got three replies, which were great ones, and then got buried. Maybe these type of projects aren't what this forum is about.

http://www.hobby-machinist.com/showthread.php/18667-Grapple-repair-Tough-customer

I did put a bit of time into taking and posting the pics.

For me, just a simple click on the LIKE button would do wonders. Maybe having the Likes and Thanks tallied under our user name.

For me, this forum IS the reason I'm doing these projects. Motivation and inspiration.

I vote no. I think PurpLev stated it very well "I post to share, I post to get recognition from like minded people that understand and appreciate this sort of work. I post because I'm proud of what I've accomplished or looking for opinions/ideas."

I do wonder about the what you did in your shop today. On the one hand I start everyday reading that thread so I do love it. On the other hand I think some cool projects get lost. I like posting to that thread because I do a lot of small quick projects and I don't feel weird about posting something that only took 30 min to do. This site has help me remember to document projects I do. I have found myself going back to my own thread latter to see how I did something.

Jeff

Well, just to add one thing here, and maybe im the only one that has this go through his mind when it comes time to post.

I actually love posting stuff Im working on, as I hope to get feedback on what part of it is screwed up and how I could have done it better, more so than for praise. Face it, Im NEW and have non professional equipment, and I come here to learn new things, something this forum is top notch for.

Anyway, maybe its just me, but I start to get a bit apprehensive when I start posting pics as I worry about "flooding the site" with stuff no one but me is interested in, and loading up the site too much. I have tried posting projects in a separate thread, as then I can judge the interest/lack of it, and that will dictate how I continue posting there. To solve the "jamming the site" issue I tried to create "blog" spots so that the loads of pics I post dont load the server or take up forum resources.

But have to admit, I would LOVE to see more projects posted, as most of the things Im playing with now were started due to another members project :)

I voted no. There could be too many unintended consequences when money is introduced into a friendly "we're all in this together" format such as this one. I agree with Hawkeye about introducing competition as well. No upside. Just MHO. Thanks for asking.

I don't quite get it. . .

You might get more projects if you paid for them, but I don't quite get the motive for that. This forum is full of good stuff as it is, and if there were more projects I'd be unlikely to visit more often just for that. Now that I think of it, since there's no advertising, I wonder why you'd be concerned about how many visitors and members are here.

I'll continue to assert that the only problem with this forum is that there is an order of magnitude too many categories and subcategories, so threads don't get noticed and activity seems dead in some areas.

Last edited:
I was on a forum one time it was a forum for flying model helicopters they had a contest for a while they stopped it when they found people signing up to the forum just to enter the contest and win the prize after that they never come back to offer any help or solutions to other supporters on the forum it just created greed.

My own pep talk.

This is an interesting topic which can quickly branch off into all kinds of directions. So, with that being said I will try my very best to stay focused and on topic. Also, these are my thoughts and are not in any way pointed to other individuals or members. My feeling is that, yes project posting does take some effort to do it properly. The taking of pictures during a project is an inconvenience as well as taking the time to do the write-up and posting. My spare time is very valuable to me and I can make plenty of excuses not to post projects. Nelson recognizes these things and thus the question.

I agree with many, this forum delivers endless amounts of information and instruction, for free and fun. I myself am not a machinist and only started re-learning this stuff after many years (30). I do not have any hands on experience until the last couple of years. I do have mechanical and engineering ability that lends itself to this type of hobby. I have also posted many embarrassing things but, life goes on. I am here to participate and learn and to help make this forum be the place we all enjoy. I, like others sometimes need a reminder to do this as it is very easy to sit back and let others do the work. If I post something and no one comments or views the thread, personally, I don’t care. I am not here for that. No one here cares about post counts, they don’t mean anything other than you are an active member. I am as guilty as the next member for not doing more. I feel that people will learn something from my inexperience as I post. I don’t need to be accomplished in turning out the perfect parts the perfect way to share. I also know that there is more than one way to do things in this hobby that are dictated by our shops, tools, machines, and money.

Thank you Nelson, for reminding me to do my part as a member of this forum. Thank you for the commercial free forum. And thank you for all the hard work and effort you put into the greatest machinist forum on the web. I now have to get off my keister and get busy on some picture taking. I currently have some small projects that I can post to fill the gaps of the bigger ones. But, I do have a couple of larger projects that are on the to-do list. One I am in the middle of is the restoration of an Ellis bandsaw. The second is my Logan 6561H lathe that needs to be completely gone over. I hesitate to post things during the project as sometimes things can drag out and I would prefer not leave people hanging to long.

Last thought, my payment for participating in this great forum is the endless information and fun it provides. I, myself need no monetary compensation. It is my obligation as a member to support this site in any way that I can and in this case it means to be an active member. And it is not fair to leave it up to other members to do my share, no excuses. I made a commitment and obligation to this forum when I became a member, otherwise I would still be visiting as a guest. If there is no participation there is no Hobby Machinist Forum, period.

I also voted no. I love to read project threads but IMHO nothing but grief could come from this in the long run, and I feel it goes against the spirit of this site.

Back