PAID projects?

If we PAID you to post projects, (say $50-$100), would you post one of your projects?

• Yes

Votes: 15 18.1%
  • No

Votes: 68 81.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
It's a no from me too.

I post stuff on here mainly because I learn a lot from what other folks posts and want to put something back in the pot.

Replying to my posts (good or bad) or clicking the thank/like buttons are the best incentive you can give me, and the only reward I need.

Plenty of other ways of imparting kudos have been suggested already, payment is definitely not the way forward.

Bernard

PS.

I've been paid a few hundred pounds by YouTube for the videos I've put up there, all very nice, but that is a commercial site that makes money out of my efforts, but some of the skulduggery that folk use on there to raise their hit count and rewards whilst posting rubbish, can be very annoying, we don't need that here!

I have been going over the responses. Basically, no one wants to be paid for projects, but the responses fall into one of a few categories:

1. We need to make it EASIER to post projects. We now have a MAIN PROJECTS SECTION OF THE SITE. It has 8 forums broken down into categories.
How could we make that EASIER? I am open to ideas. Should we just have ONE Projects forum? Wouldn't that be disorganized if ALL projects were in the ONE forum?

There is another solution this rather cumbersome software provides: You CAN make your thread or post into an ARTICLE. Click on "Promote to Article" below your post and make sure you save it to one of the sections. We can make sure it is published or move it where it should be- no problem.

Projects Forums
Threads / Posts
Las

One thing that is also happening is that people want to have their OWN machining sites and post their projects there. That is nice, but it doesn't add to the projects on our site, and dragging people off this site really does everyone on here a disservice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just a thought, and maybe I am way off here, but to me it would make more sense to have a forum for "What did you do in your shop today?" rather than a thread for that. If it were a separate forum, each person could start his own thread with a specific subject line about the project. It could even be a sub forum in the General Machining forum.

My thoughts behind this are that sometime down the road, one of us will remember seeing where somebody made the perfect tool of some sort, but may not remember where the thread was. If the thread had its own subject line, it would probably be much easier to search out and find.

Just food for thought.

I'd be willing, but people say we have too many forums (fora) already.

Nelson

How many more posting of projects would be ideal?

Dan,

There is NO limit, really. I bought more disk space for us. Cost us $15 a month more, but worth it.

If you really want to attract new additions to the project forum, I suggest you make it incredibly easy to post the material. My experience is that most fora and clubs are filled with nonparticipants. Why don't these folks post projects? Fear of criticism, general shyness, lack of familiarity with online procedures, lack of interest, not enough praise, selfishness - there could be any number of reasons.

I would make it as easy as possible- below each post, there is a link "PROMOTE TO ARTICLE". Regular members have permission to use it. Click on it, Click Save and then Submit, and your project is now an Article.

Want easier? What if I add a Wordpress site to this forum JUST FOR PROJECTS so you can write them up, post photos, etc. I am willing to do ANYTHING to make is easier.

NO ONE, I repeat NO ONE, will be criticized for their efforts in a malicious or non-constructive way. That is not how we roll here.

Another quick observation about promoting participation- we should do our best to "visit" the introduction threads, and interspace a little bit. Let people know we want to hear from them. Be specific if we read some that even DOES interest us form their intro paragraphs. Or at least click "like" on their posts so they up know they were read.

... Just like teachers saying "hello, tell us about yourself" to new students, but also responding a little. I thought iPod it tonight while visiting that thread.

Bernie

We're trying to find ideas to encourage MORE projects. So the question is: if we PAID you to post projects, (say $50-$100), would you be MORE inclined to post one of your projects?

If not, what WOULD make you want to POST a project?

I voted "no" for the same reasons as many of the others. It's a hobby, I'm interested in comments and input from other machinists, I've learned more here than I can give back, etc.

Regarding what might motivate people to post more projects, I'll throw out these few ideas...

• Maybe a once/month "best project of the month" selected by members.
  • A project posting "ranking", similar to the way we each have ranking based on our number of posts (swarf, aluminum, brass, etc.) The more projects posted, the higher the ranking.
  • More member feedback for newbies on their simpler projects. What is a successful, complex project for a newbie may be a "ho-hum" project for an experienced guy, so a little more recognition might help. Along that line, maybe a separate "newbie project of the month" selected by members.

Just some thoughts...

Last edited by a moderator:
I have read what has been said.

What about this:

New Forum: Member Projects
Post 10+ projects- get your own sub forum with banner ad to it
Post 20+ projects get your own main forum on the main site page

Smaller contributors can open a group or blog, and I will post it to the submenu (provided I can figure out how).

Sound fair as an incentive?

I don't think you need to pay people.

Posting projects is done all the time here, but its all over the place in the forums. Project of the day is a nice forum because it's an easy way to just post a couple pics of what you did over a short period of time.

Maybe if there was a separate projects forum for bigger projects that take time , people would see the larger projects and maybe decide to post their own.

Projects take time, and much more time if your trying to actually document the project. It's not something everyone wants/can do.

I like looking at the potd thread, but it is very big now and can be quite dificult to folow different things in.

not sure what the best way is.

Stuart

I think its a great way to handle this Nelson, I posted 2 projects (well links actually). Are there any rules to how to p[ost? Should a single post contain the whole project? Or can we use links to another forum (like I did)?

I have read what has been said.

What about this:

New Forum: Member Projects
Post 10+ projects- get your own sub forum with banner ad to it
Post 20+ projects get your own main forum on the main site page

Smaller contributors can open a group or blog, and I will post it to the submenu (provided I can figure out how).

Sound fair as an incentive?

Back