PAID projects?

If we PAID you to post projects, (say $50-$100), would you post one of your projects?

• Yes

Votes: 15 18.1%
  • No

Votes: 68 81.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

HMF

Site Founder
Administrator
We're trying to find ideas to encourage MORE projects. So the question is: if we PAID you to post projects, (say $50-$100), would you be MORE inclined to post one of your projects?

If not, what WOULD make you want to POST a project?

You owe me big money,Nelson!!! No vote from me as I don't need to be paid to post projects anyway.

I post to share, I post to get recognition from like minded people that understand and appreciate this sort of work. I post because I'm proud of what I've accomplished or looking for opinions/ideas. I do not post (here) to make money - although I would not say "no" to extra cash ;)

just saying...

I've got more projects than I can recall at any given time. I go to forums to learn so I mostly lurk (and that's not just this forum, it's all the ones I'm on). For some reason I get the feeling that what I do is of no interest to others which doesn't make sense because I do some cool stuff and I enjoy seeing other peoples cool stuff too. I guess it's just an inferiority complex.

I'm not sure how I feel about getting paid to post projects. The forum atmosphere is a friendly one and the introduction of money may taint that. However, if someones work is really interesting or their description is very detailed, it may be more trouble than it's worth for them to take pictures while they are working and then do a recap on a forum after a long days work. I know when I check out the the evening, I'm pooped and don't feel like typing a dissertation. A few dollars may make it worth their while.

I don't think you need to pay people.

Posting projects is done all the time here, but its all over the place in the forums. Project of the day is a nice forum because it's an easy way to just post a couple pics of what you did over a short period of time.

Maybe if there was a separate projects forum for bigger projects that take time , people would see the larger projects and maybe decide to post their own.

Projects take time, and much more time if your trying to actually document the project. It's not something everyone wants/can do.

If you are talking about "See what I made?" type projects, it would not be that reasonable to pay for mine. I don't take good pictures. I don't stop and stage lighting. I don't have the time or equipment to do a good enough job. Professional quality content is another thing. If you are talking about someone putting in a lot of work to put together a "Lesson on how to do (Y)" or a detailed build diary for some project, it would be reasonable. It as worked for many years in traditional media.

Now, personally I would love to read them or watch videos of them. Now, the hard part is how sustainable is it? Would I pay for premium content myself? I personally don't have enough time to get through all the free stuff so probably not. Would it bother me to have on-topic ads to support it? Not a bit. I know that on "some other forum" that caters to CNC stuff, I have found some good info and bought stuff from their advertisers. People have to eat and electricity, computers and bandwidth are not free.

Other models such as prizes for best projects, best video, and such might be another option.

Voted no, as I would gladly post them for free, and would post more if I wasn't afraid I would just waste site space and drive the other members nuts. I am far from a machinist and have learned much of what I know from here, so to me anything I can give back would be a welcome pleasure. In all good faith, even if I had a killer project (which from me will probably never happen, as im just not that skilled or have good equipment) I would NEVER take money to share it. Most of my current projects have come from following others here who posted projects that made me say "damn, have to have one of those".

Love this place, and will post anything I do. .... just dont expect too much from me LOL Although, my post may be a good source of "what not to do" learning for others LOL.

I don't post any projects because the only machines I have are woodworking and I really don't have the time to do much with those right now. I am here because I found this forum while trying to figure out a way to bring repeatable 0.001" accuracy to my wood lathe. I finally realized I should be using a metal lathe and would up here while researching them.

I do love seeing other people post their projects. I would guess the biggest reason people don't post more is simply the extra time involved in documenting the process and then posting it. I think most people here are pretty busy.

A "no" vote from me. This is for fun but I'm firmly of the belief that this Country is headed for trouble with not enough vocational education classes for folks so, I personally post my projects hoping that someone can learn and get information that is not readily available anymore.

At any and all levels, it would be great for people to post their projects as even the most experienced folks can learn something. I do all the time.

Also, if folks take the time to take pictures and do a quick write-up, that in-itself is natural way to develop your skills in many ways. Believe it or not, it could be useful on a job interview. Imagine going on a job interview and pointing them here to show that you have the ability to document and explain something. -Those are valuable skills!

Ray

I find that paying for a project would commercialize our site and cause issues that we have managed to avoid so far. I personally think it is a way bad idea, but that is just my opinion.

Bob

Back