PAID projects?

If we PAID you to post projects, (say $50-$100), would you post one of your projects?

• Yes

Votes: 15 18.1%
  • No

Votes: 68 81.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
How about starting up a projects forum for people to post their projects, each project in a separate thread. Then based on likes and thanks given to the original poster from that thread you can decide on a winner or 3.

Then give out a prizes every month or 3months or year.

That would get more people posting and your not paying anyone, just giving out a prize or two.

Prizes could be donated by members or businesses, and could be anything related to machining, does not have to be something big or expensive.

If I finished all of my projects I have started right now & posted them you would have to file for bankruptcy but I would have the money to finish my CNC Plasma table :thinking: Hmmmmmmm

NO, unless your making money hand over fist with this forum then sure mail me some checks.

It's a definite "No" for me.

It doesn't pass the smell test for me to solicit donations to help pay for keep the site running and then pay out money for posting a project. No one came here to make any money.

As some others have commented, maybe there needs to be ONE place to put project. Right now they are everywhere - Shop Made Tooling, What Did You Do In Your Shop Today, and now there's a new one - Post Pictures of Your Projects (or something similar). Not to mention all of the projects / rebuilds / refurbish threads in the Forums for different brands of machines.

I'm not sure what drove the question, but I think there ARE a LOT of projects all over this site. A lot of times when a question is asked, a response will be "this is what I did" and show a picture that may show a "project" previously done but not documented and posted. We're all hobbyists and and we all do projects. Most of the time we don't feel they are significant enough to share with others.

I think when someone DOES post a project, we could all do a better job following up with positive comments. I know it's frustrating when someone posts a project and gets a lot of views but not many comments.

My two cents.

Steve

No! Its a hobby forum after all.Besides it seems there is no
lack of projects or posts
My 2cents
Ariscats

I voted no--i think there just needs to be more pictures of completed projects by all members to show the wealth of knowledge on this site.--we all see with our eyes and if we need information on how someone achieved their results ----then we can ask for more information on how they made it.---I think there are a lot of very talented members on this site who are very helpful with their mentoring and give their guidance for free. I think we can all start threads to draw the information we would like out of the ones willing to share it. We definately don't want this site to just be controlled by the eager members wanting to make a living off it. Dave

I voted no. like this site to good to see problems that money may bring in. I do like schor idea of prizes. maybe enter everyone that submits a project and have a drawing for a winner. that way the simple projects have as good a chance as the more complex projects do. my problem with submitting projects is time. working 50 to 55 hr a week and then home jobs I just run out of time. this is the best forum I have been on and I support the people here that run it

FWIW, my vote is a no. I'm a newbie here, so green in fact that my lathe is not up & running yet! But still this forum appealed to me at a 'hobby' level. Heck it's even in the name. I also like the idea of a central spot for projects to be shown. Maybe one forum for projects, which might be divided into sub-topics. No to paying, but a token prize by random drawing now & then might keep interest up.
Wes

My pet peeve about posting projects are
1. It takes a bit of effort to take pictures as you go on a project, then takes a bit more effort to organize them on your computer, then takes a bit more effort to post them, Then nobody put any effort into commenting on the or even acknowledging them.
2. The 3 threads that are soliciting pictures are very impersonal, long, non searchable. They are fine for a quick teaser or a very small project that really doesn't warrant a thread about it.
3. Titles, your title should be something that tells what is in the post or the post is about "Today's project" doesn't tell me you made a widget for a whatchamightcallit so when I search for a widget for a whatchamightcallit I can't find it. We all are guilty of it including me.
4. What happened to P.O.T.M.?

I would vote no I would have to agree with Charley I have post plenty of pictures of projects which I thought where fairly good high tech projects that took a lot of work I would get one or two comments if I got paid for them it would be a waste because I got beat out with dozens of replys for a guy who made a new knob for his lathe. The project is neat if you can do it with your present machines and how it applies to you.

Back