No fun turning a 22mm deep socket

I just saw this thread......without disclosing the super secret location, roughly where in Oceanside...we have lived in Vista for over 40 years, right next door to you:)

No worries about tires freezing in Oceanside :grin:

The thing I'd be worried about with the modified socket is getting the lug nuts off later. Is it possible to get lug nuts that have an internal (Allen or Torx) drive? Seems like that would be a better solution for this problem.

John

I can see it now RJSakowski, "We de-iced the road Sir." So why is there a 72 car pile up? "Well, the de-icer was slipperier than the ice!" LOL
It is the truth. When Madison switched to the beet juice deicer vs. salt and sand, accidents did a sharp up-tick. When conditions are too cold for salt to melt, at least there was some traction from the grit.

I just saw this thread......without disclosing the super secret location, roughly where in Oceanside...we have lived in Vista for over 40 years, right next door to you:)
I'm a stone's throw away in South Morro Hills. Dave, my neighbor behind me moved in a little over a year ago, and he was from Vista.

No worries about tires freezing in Oceanside :grin:

The thing I'd be worried about with the modified socket is getting the lug nuts off later. Is it possible to get lug nuts that have an internal (Allen or Torx) drive? Seems like that would be a better solution for this problem.

John
One has to wonder what was going on in the design and manufacturing of these aftermarket parts. A larger counterbore would eliminate the problem.

I just took a look at our tractor (Nortrac) and it uses bolts instead of studs and nuts. Replacing the hex head vbolts with socket head cap screws would work in that case.

<snip
Finished Socket.jpg

Thanks for looking and your suggestions.

I'm wondering if the socket you're holding (in the picture) fits the lug nuts pictured?

I was hoping that the nuts have a reduced hex size (smaller than stock nuts) and are intended to be used in the counterbores (with a standard impact socket).

If I had bought spacers that wouldn't accept a standard diameter socket, I would have started with a serious conversation with a representative of the manufacturer. Requiring special tools is defective design in this case.

Regardless, slather plenty of anitseize compound on all the studs to prevent corrosion. What are you going to do if any of those buried nuts gets rusted on? That modified socket will probably split without a lot of torque applied.

I'm wondering if the socket you're holding (in the picture) fits the lug nuts pictured?

I was hoping that the nuts have a reduced hex size (smaller than stock nuts) and are intended to be used in the counterbores (with a standard impact socket).

If I had bought spacers that wouldn't accept a standard diameter socket, I would have started with a serious conversation with a representative of the manufacturer. Requiring special tools is defective design in this case.

Regardless, slather plenty of anitseize compound on all the studs to prevent corrosion. What are you going to do if any of those buried nuts gets rusted on? That modified socket will probably split without a lot of torque applied.
It's funny you mention that, and I'm embarrassed that I didn't think of it. The company got back to me a little bit ago and said the nuts they provide have the same thread as my studs but are smaller and a standard socket should fit, and that's how they were intended to be installed. He said I may have to cut their studs down to fit my lug nuts. I'll know for sure this weekend. With the exception of time and money spent, I experienced turning a chrome tool.

It's funny you mention that, and I'm embarrassed that I didn't think of it. The company got back to me a little bit ago and said the nuts they provide have the same thread as my studs but are smaller and a standard socket should fit, and that's how they were intended to be installed. I'll know for sure this weekend. With the exception of time and money spent, I experienced turning a chrome tool.

Take anitseize compound with you. Plenty of paper towels/rags too. SERIOUSLY!

Back