No fun turning a 22mm deep socket

Would this been have been something that needed the grinder?

To avoid rust, use an inner tube as a liner.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

I'm glad your didn't get hurt.

My tractor has what they refer to as beet juice in the rear tires.

Last edited:
My Kubota you can mount the tires to the tractor on either side of the rims. One way makes the width wider. The rear is 79" wide mounted the widest way.

Did you turn the socket with carbide or HSS? chrome wants you to get underneath it right away. Carbide and not so fast? I have turned a few sockets without problems. When I have the choice, I will use a decent quality impact socket, my thinking being the steel is tougher so better able to deal with the thinner section. I could be kidding myself. I have plenty of chrome ones turned down. The initial tool pressure is high to get under the chrome.
I used carbide. Perhaps 1,000 RPM was a bit much and my initial cut of 5 thou was too little. I thought about turning my impact socket and decided against it. I like Randy's recommendation and am going to see if I can find a set that fits my lugs. I fear the socket will break and I'll have to buy and turn another to get the nut back.

I had to turn a socket to fit down the spark plug well of the wife's car. It didn't last. You might consider something like these. I guessed M14x1.5 thread, but there are many options on thread and length out there.

That's a great idea. I'm going to look into it. Thanks

I'm glad your didn't get hurt.

My tractor has what they refer to as beet juice in the rear tires.
I was going to go that route, but the closest dealers are about 8 hours from me and not worth it to me. Thanks

The inner tubes for my tractor rear wheels all have two piece valve stems. The outer portion of the stem has a nut for securely fastening to the rim. It also has a larger bore to facilitate filling with liquid ballast. When the proper amount of ballast has been added, the inner portion containing the standard Schroeder valve is installed and the tire inflated to proper pressure.
1637601774894.png

Beet juice is used as an antifreeze. There is little advantage over water from the standpoint of additional weight. If freezing isn't an issue, I would just use water.

If you decide to mix up your own calcium chloride solution, you need to know that, while the freezing point of CaCl2 + water solutions starts decreasing with increasing concentration, it reaches a minimum of about -45F at a concentration of only 30% CaCl2. Above that concentration, the freezing point actually increases -- and not by a trivial amount. At a concentration of 57%, the freezing point is ABOVE 32F -- something like 42F. I was very surprised when I saw that some water solutions could freeze above 32F but apparently it can happen!

Google "calcium chloride-water phase diagram". I have a document with the phase diagram, but, since I don't know if it's copyrighted or not, I won't attach it. The title of the document is "CaCl2 solution properties.pdf" and is available from the Occidental Chemical Corporation.

The solution used for tractor tires probably has other stuff in it to depress the freezing point, along with rust inhibitors. This application is one where DIY probably is not a great idea.

My records show I bought new rear wheels for my 2002 Kubota B7500 in 2015 with 700 hrs on it as the wheel around the valve stems was badly rusted from the calcium chloride fill. Yes I had inner tubes, rusted anyway.
To be fair I live in a wet climate, but Mr. Orange is kept in a dry barn when not in use.
At the time the dealer nearest me did not fill tires. They told me they take them to a tire store, that’s what I did.
I used beet juice this time.
Also the b7500 (same tractor as MMCMD has, but couple yrs older) has rear hubs that are adjustable each for 3” width. 6” total. I leave at widest, as I also have hilly property.
For reference my manual states to always have a seat belt on if the ROPS is up.
If the ROPS is folded down, or no ROPS, do not wear the seat belt.
As always YMMV. Cheers

Back