No fun turning a 22mm deep socket

Gaffer

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I had an HUA moment, all too frequently lately, and posted this on top of woodfab's bandsaw posting.

I received the 3" wheel spacers for my Kubota. Excited, I grabbed my tools and spacers and drove 1.5 hours to our lot in Oceanside where the tractor resides and we prepare to build our retirement home.

Wheel Spacer.jpg
I should have checked my 22mm socket in the spacer first, but never thought it wouldn't fit. It didn't. It wasn't an entirely wasted trip, but I learned a valuable lesson. When I returned home, I ordered the thinnest walled 22mm deep socket I could find. It showed up on my doorstep this morning, but the OD was too big to fit.

Keep in mind, I'm a novice at machining, but had prepared myself that I might have to turn the socket to fit. I used this carbide tool on my Colchester Master 6.5. There's a picture of the business end of the tool in the next photo. I tested it on some scrap before taking it to the socket and it performed fine.
Carbide Tool.jpg

I chucked up the socket and found it to be disappointing and the finished product is embarrassing. It fits and hopefully won't break when I torque the spacers to spec. I think I'll be fine. I've read posts before about members turning chrome tools and it was difficult, but I don't remember what was discussed to make it better. My lathe's max RPM is 1,000 and that's what I used, and fed by hand. Lots of heat and a rats nest. I played with DOC between .005 and .010, and it didn't seem to make much difference though I experienced deflection at the unsupported end. I made several passes and tried a .002 finish pass. It fits fine with the slightest, I'm guessing a thou or two of clearance, that I hope will be enough to fit onto the lug nuts.
Rat Nest.jpg

I'm a little surprised the spacer manufacturer didn't say anything about a special socket, but I'll email them to see what they say. I doubt I'm the first person to experience this. Their machine work is excellent.
Finished Socket.jpg

Thanks for looking and your suggestions.

What are the spacers for ? I have to ask as I own a Kubota FEL .

What are the spacers for ? I have to ask as I own a Kubota FEL .
Added stability by spacing the rear tires. My lot has several slopes, and I tipped her over. I'm going to load the tires with water too. It never freezes there, so I don't have that worry. I was surprised how easy it tipped over. No injuries and no damage, other than to my ego. When it happened, the bucket was low to the ground pushing debris, and I had made several passes with no issue. The left front tire went over debris and I guess the addition to the mild slope I was on was enough to send her over. I chalk it up to inexperience as this is my first tractor. Fortunately, my truck pulled her upright without breaking a sweat.
IMG_2977.jpg

Holy HELL ! With a grader box on the back yet ? I can pull the rear wheels out 3 " but it put's out past 48" . My rear tires are filled , and I can add weights on the ass end , but she still wasn't up to a Johnson bandsaw I tried to lift . :rolleyes: We won't talk about the post hole digger .........................:big grin:

Is/was that a BX , B or and L series ? I would like to move up to a 40 HP L model one day if I get up north . But regardless , that's a downed Bota , which I hate to see .

glad you are ok. There are many who die from that. Lost a guy I used to go to his shop , and one day I read about him rolling it over on top of him.

I would worry about plain water rusting the hubs, at least antifreeze and other solutions I think keep the wheels from rusting. But I'll let others who are more knowledgeable weigh in on that.

I am extra cautious when on a slope with either of my two tractors or the riding lawn mower. The 8N has the lowest center of gravity and is the most stable but I still negotiate a hillside going straight up or down. The Cub Cadet riding mower specified a maximum tilt of 15º and I have thought about making a simple tilt indicator for use on hillsides.

Holy HELL ! With a grader box on the back yet ? I can pull the rear wheels out 3 " but it put's out past 48" . My rear tires are filled , and I can add weights on the ass end , but she still wasn't up to a Johnson bandsaw I tried to lift . :rolleyes: We won't talk about the post hole digger .........................:big grin:

Is/was that a BX , B or and L series ? I would like to move up to a 40 HP L model one day if I get up north . But regardless , that's a downed Bota , which I hate to see .
She's a B2650. I wish I had more HP too, but it wasn't in the financial cards.

Tractors usually use saturated calcium chloride. It is more dense than water or antifreeze solution and won't freeze. But rear tractor tire usually have inner tubes. Calcium chloride is worse than rock salt for corrosion.

Last edited:
glad you are ok. There are many who die from that. Lost a guy I used to go to his shop , and one day I read about him rolling it over on top of him.

I would worry about plain water rusting the hubs, at least antifreeze and other solutions I think keep the wheels from rusting. But I'll let others who are more knowledgeable weigh in on that.
Thanks, I always wear the seatbelt. As soon as I felt her going over, I made sure my arms and legs were inside and prayed for the best.

Back