New (to me) Boyar Schultz Six Twelve 2A

So here's what I KNOW I am going to have to sort out so far. Spindle was not smooth, so I am going to need to rebuild that. the spindle itself looks great, so fortunately I only need to deal with Bearings. The taper looks pristine.

The X hydraulic ram has a slight bend. I may try to repair it, but I don't have an arbor press. IF I can not repair it, I can order a length of chromed ram material to the correct thickness, and cut the ends on the lathe. Easy.

The X hydraulic line - I had to break the table hydraulic copper line to get it removed from the apron for easier cleaning in my parts washer. I will need to remake this, and will need to replace a few fittings here and there.

Now for the "While I have it in pieces" list. Not positive on any of this.

- Hydraulic fittings for the control block. So for anyone not familiar, the control block fits down on top of several hydraulic fittings. the (Male) fittings slip in to the holes on the bottom of the control block, and are very precisely located on the apron to do so. The block is then fastened down to the apron with just 2 bolts. Those 2 bolts are the ONLY thing holding the control block and the fittings together. The fittings are NOT screwed into place. Not knowing for sure if the male fitting gaskets are totally sound, I am considering replacing them now, as I likely wont be able to do it easily once the apron is back on the machine, and a rather large hassle of a mess will be the only way I would know if I had a leak or not. Below is a picture of some of the fittings in the apron.

1711382326306.png

- Appearance. IF it was just machine grey and metal, I would be very inclined to just leave it be, but because there is a tan middle color, I am not sure I am digging the "experienced" motif. I am also not sure if I DISLIKE the motif enough to open THAT can of worms.

1711381977602.png

Hi there!
I'm envious of your 2A, I always wanted one, but settled on my 612 manual (garage shop) that I went through completely (Paint, New Leadscrews & Nuts for Cross and Vertical, Bearings throughout.....)
I did purchase the Boyar Schultz 2A Hydraulic manual (wishful thinking) that I am posting here in multiple parts (1-8) because of the attachment limitations.

Attachments

• BS 2A Part1.pdf
    4.8 MB · Views: 26
Back