New (to me) Boyar Schultz Six Twelve 2A

I also have an extra Vertical Leadscrew & Nut (that I made as a just in case clause for my machine) that came out perfect, if your interested.

Attachments

• 10.jpeg
    10.jpeg
    163.5 KB · Views: 20
  • 11.jpeg
    11.jpeg
    157.9 KB · Views: 22
  • 7.jpeg
    7.jpeg
    112.6 KB · Views: 16
Wow @Leslie This is amazing! Thank you!

Side note that is beautiful work on that vertical lead screw assembly. looks like you even nailed the angle on the oil passage. Very nice!

Anyone have any advice on where to purchase bearings for my spindle? Need each that would replace the Barden 204H, and 205H. Open to alternatives.

These are VBX brand, I used these for myself (bought them 2.5 years ago for about the same price thru Amazon).

Search for them on ebay (the ones I saw on Amazon now are cheaper, but I don't know the manufacturer....)

7204C P4 ABEC-7 Quality High Precision Angular Contact Bearing 20x47x14, US $95.85/Ea

7205C P4 ABEC-7 Quality High Precision Angular Contact Bearing 25x52x15, US $105.80/Ea

These are VBX brand, I used these for myself (bought them 2.5 years ago for about the same price thru Amazon).

Search for them on ebay (the ones I saw on Amazon now are cheaper, but I don't know the manufacturer....)

7204C P4 ABEC-7 Quality High Precision Angular Contact Bearing 20x47x14, US $95.85/Ea

7205C P4 ABEC-7 Quality High Precision Angular Contact Bearing 25x52x15, US $105.80/Ea

Ordered! Thank you!

Another question, in the future, can 40 degree angular bearings be substituted for 15 degrees if spindle speed remains within the bearing spec, or are there other considerations for that substitution?

15 Degree is the better choice with the "Spring Loaded" axial design and is inherent to the High Precision Grade that a Surface Grinder Spindle requires.
40 Degree will offer LESS Radial load but MORE Axial load (a surface grinder is MOSTLY Radially loaded not so much Axial).

15 Degree is the better choice with the "Spring Loaded" axial design and is inherent to the High Precision Grade that a Surface Grinder Spindle requires.
40 Degree will offer LESS Radial load but MORE Axial load (a surface grinder is MOSTLY Radially loaded not so much Axial).
Thanks Leslie, This makes sense. I was noticing that 40 degree bearings were more available, and cheaper.

Did you torque your spindle by feel, or did you do it to a spec?

So mini update of sorts. The hydraulic system is giving me headaches. The plumbing looks like if has been done using the complete gambit of brass fittings.the elbows that seat in the control block through the apron look proprietary and I’m not sure how confident I am in the o-rings or how to source the correct ones. Some of the fittings look to be brass pipe fitting, while some look to be compression, and others look to be flared. I think the soft copper I need is 3/8”, so I’m 90% confident there, but one if the fittings I need for the Z axis (apron in and out, would be Y on a mill) looks to be 1/8” brass pipe male (which looks closer to 1/4” for the other fitting types) and that needs to go to 5/16” to what I THINK is a compression fitting female.

I’m guessing the oil pipes are copper brake lines? Need a length of that and some of the copper compression rings that go with that. I can re-use the actual fittings I reckon.

I straightened the X axis hydronic ram, but I’m not entirely confident on the gland making a good seal on the ram. Would love to replace it while everything is apart but no idea how to source thT either.

" looks to be 1/8” brass pipe male (which looks closer to 1/4” for the other fitting types) and that needs to go to 5/16” to what I THINK is a compression fitting female."

turns out it is 1/8" MIP to 5/16 OR 3/8" Inverse Flare.

Back