New [to me] 13" x 5" south bend

Re: New [to me] 13" x 5" south bend

Kind of run what ya brung with that jewel. It came with the lathe. Leblond brand. It was painted yellow and It grew on me though so unless I get a real SB wrench given to me ,I am going to run it.
:)

- - - Updated - - -
Better hide that nice LeBlond wrench or else it might end up on my 15" Regal! :whistle:

TJ

Update - New [to me] 13" x 5" south bend

Hello Everyone , I have been way to busy but have pretty much finished the 13" South Bend. The black trim around the side panels is auto door edging and I put it there to protect the finish from gouging/ sctratching. I used a Al Bino belt this time around. The switch is set up to allow the drum switch to switch off in the center off position once you hit the magnetic switch button. Off on that switch drops the magnetic switch. Thanks to Jim and Uncle Harry for the time spent on coming up with a wiring plan as well as the on/off switch Uncle Harry donated. The onlly bad news is the 3 jaw chuck is junk. It has a crack or 2 and I chucked in a straight piece and runout is horrendous. I will post the pics of that in the appropriate forum as I have a few questions I would like to put out there. Note that the powder coat on the panels and door and a few other parts is not a 100% perfect match. Also note that the wheeled frame under it is going to turn into a 4 drawer tooling storage box. Soon I hope. I'll up date the photos when that drawer unit is done. Thanks again to those that helped with suggestions and answers when I needed them and to those that have shown interest in this project. Ski PS , The pics were right side up when I listed so not sure why. if they are not .

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Last edited:
You should be very proud of the work you have put into your lathe, awesome job.

Excellent work! That looks like a brand new machine...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I took a couple more pics of the back/switches/wiring. I am in the process of leveling it now. Just a Couple things left before cutting a test bar and getting the tailstock straight. Wisconsin is a little on the chilly side right now so I try to line up a few projects and hit it on the warmer days. I saved the drum on the drum switch from the last machine. I though it a little unusual and going to improve its look soon.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Last edited:
Nice! Now what you gonna be makin' on her???!!!

John
. I have a bevel gear box shaft (simplicity) to duplicate for starters and i picked up a new X axis screw for my mill that is to long so going to shorten to fit. Since I sold my 10L with a good amount of tooling,I have to get a few things yet but not much.

"Kind of run what ya brung with that jewel. It came with the lathe. Leblond brand. It was painted yellow and It grew on me though so unless I get a real SB wrench given to me ,I am going to run it :)"

Look what I found out back on the old parts LeBlond!

100_8723.JPG

Not that my SB tailstock looks as nice as yours!:))

John

100_8723.JPG

Hello,
Can you post some detailed pics of the banjo assembly?I need specifically to see the pinion slide knob and related parts.

I could really use some dimensions on the pinion knob,the tooth count on the slide pinion gear.

I have a "13" and it would help greatly if I knew what was needed to complete the Primary Drive Assembly.

I will post a pic of the Banjo and the missing Slide Gear Assembly(which bolts to the center hole)that is currently empty.

Mine was Manufactured in 1941 but I believe they share the same Headstock Assembly.

Thanks man.

Beaded SB parts 002.JPG

"Kind of run what ya brung with that jewel. It came with the lathe. Leblond brand. It was painted yellow and It grew on me though so unless I get a real SB wrench given to me ,I am going to run it :)"

Look what I found out back on the old parts LeBlond!

View attachment 90482

Not that my SB tailstock looks as nice as yours!:))

John
I like the fit of it. The spindle looks good from the side ! Any parts from the parts lathe for sale!

Back