New [to me] 13" x 5" south bend

Ski

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I started this in another post but thought I'd start it again. The lathe is a 13 inch,5 foot bed model CL145B. SN# 15840T. Approximate build date is middle 78. It is replacing a 3 1/2 foot bed 1965 10L which I have sold. This lathe doesn't have the threaded spindle but not sure what the proper name of it is,someone? D1-3 I think. I will have to locate a collet chuck. It came with 2 chucks,A 3 jaw cuchman and a 4 jaw Rohm. lathe came out of a high school originally 10 years ago and into the shed where I found it. It is a hard bed with 0 noticable wear on the ways.The original scraping marks can be seen on the saddle and compound/ crosslide but faintly.It has kissed the jaws of a chuck a few times as well. I have most of that filed/ stoned off already to a useable condition. Not perfect but dang close. I ran it while checking it out and it seemed pretty tight.Everything worked.It is wired for 220 single phase with a new motor and I also was given the 3 phase motor(original) which is in like new shape. It is missing a reverse switch though. I am going to refelt [kit coming] it after disassemble and cleaning and some repainting. It was oiled and greased but not with the right oil. The 80 tooth gear is missing parts of a couple teeth but I think it is due to the gear set with hardly any engagement except at the ends. So looking for a gear and switch and maybe a compound if anyone has some spare parts around. The owner I picked it up from said he used it barely once a year for 10 years and never used the lead screw feeds. He said he used it manually only. Gear box was out of gear, as was all the apron levers and the banjo. I just couldn't pass it up. I tried real hard too. Offered a lower price but he took it. Dang it. Ski

13 in. south bend 001.JPG 13 in. south bend 006.JPG

I feel bad for you. I'm still waiting for the deal I can't get away from. In the mean time, a mini lathe serves most of my turning needs. Nice find!

Ski ,

Looks a nice machine, Good score, But has it got its tailstock?

Good to see someone from my area get a nice deal on a nice lathe. I'm doing OK with a 10L, but the 13" has my interest - maybe in the future.....

Congrats!

Yes,It came with tailstock.I stripped as much as I could to lighten up the top end.Then bolted it to the trailer and strapped down at 4 corners.Picked up in Cedarburg,Wi.

Nice find, only way I would ever sell my 10L is if I found a nice 13 like that one to restore as an upgrade. What was the selling price?

Here are a couple more pics. He was asking 1850.00. I offered 17 upon inspection. That maybe more than some would pay but I thought it was worth it. I am sure I could have done worse. Teardown is going ok. Saddle screws are TIGHT. I got one loose and 3 soaking. I finished cleaning up the compound and cross with those ready to paint. It looks like the compound base suffered the most damage when it got a little close to the chuck. Maybe someone has one laying around that was spared damage ?Ski

13 in. south bend 002.JPG 13 in. south bend 003.JPG

The proper name for your spindle nose is "4 inch Type D1" per USA Standard Publication B5.9-1967 "Spindle Noses for Tool Room Lathes, Engine Lathes, Turret Lathes, and Automatic Lathes". Usually though it's referred to as a D1-4 or D1-4" or something like that. There is a D1-3", which is, well, smaller. And a D1-2" is described in this publication. And there are several larger sizes. The D1-4" became standard on the South Bend Heavy 10, the 13 and the 16 inch lathes in the second half of the 1970's. Threaded spindle noses then were available as an option.
David

I finally got the saddle screws loose today. I cleaned up the saddle and it all looks ok to go. Stoned/flat filed a few dings off. Ways have a few work dings. Hopefully a stone will work on them. I have done some cleaning done on the ways and took a couple pics. I made a makeshift support for the lead screw in case you are wondering. Thought it best to support it while I turn/run the apron off the end. Lots of cleaning and paint removal to do. Felt kit should be here tomorrow. It will probably be awhile before I post any more pics unless I run into a needed repair but will post the painted components as I get them done. Thanks for the info and help. Ski

south bend fingers 002.JPG south bend fingers 003.JPG south bend fingers 004.JPG

Back